Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th August 2021, 11:40 AM
New User

Default ORWOCOLOR 17 developer

Hello!

I have been contemplating putting together chemistry components with my own hands. I love experimenting and learning new things but so far, I don't know much about it.

I have an issue with one source material. ORWOCOLOR 17 developer contains a substance called N,N-diethyl-p-phenylenediamine sulfate, also known as TSS, T-22, CD-1.

Why is it so hard to buy? Is it dangerous?
Old 6th August 2021, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hi. The usual commercial lab chemical suppliers seem to stock it but they will not sell to individuals so sorry, I have no idea where you can obtain it as a private individual.

The SDS says: "Harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin" from which one can assume, do not breath it in either...
Old 6th August 2021, 06:50 PM
Friend

It is the developing agent in Atomal 49. I assume part A contains not much more than that. The developer is cheap, especially thr 5L package. May be, his is an option.
Old 7th August 2021, 11:46 AM
Friend

First of all, be VERY careful with any chemicals, but I understand your curiosity to make chemical solutions yourself, as I like to do the same.

I have found if you can not find anything on ebay.co.uk, it is always worth then trying on ebay.com, for here I found one seller that sells it. It's also worth looking at his shop, as he has two pages of lots of various unknown chemicals to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20320128383...oAAOSwy~Jfwt3u

Terry S
Old 6th November 2021, 04:01 PM
Friend

Default toxicity of paraphenylene diamine sulfate

I used to manage colour processing labs. CD1 (paraphenylene diamine) is known to be toxic and I was told that CD2 and CD3 replaced it because of the incidence of allergic reaction in staff. Some had to leave the industry! It is still used in hair-colouring products and comes with warnings, mainly to test for reaction before dunking your scalp in it.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies