Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th July 2010, 02:58 PM
Friend

Default Zone VI Enlarger

I've recently run into a Zone VI enlarger and all the kit that goes with it and am being asked by the seller to make an offer based on my research. It seems that this is a good enlarger setup from the limited information I can find. I believe it is a series I. Prices on the web range from $399 from six years ago to $1000 today on ebay.
This includes an easel, timers, trays, pretty much anything that makes a darkroom.
So, my questions are:
What should I offer this gentleman?
Should I even consider buying this?
Does anyone have experience with this brand?
Any other information or thoughts pertaining top this or the world in general are very much appreciated.

Konah
Old 16th July 2010, 03:49 PM
Friend

I don’t have any direct experience of this particular make of enlarger, but believe them to be well made. My only reservation would be on the question of spare parts should anything be needed. For example what type of lamp is it fitted with, and are replacements readily available?
As to its value and that of the other components, the only way to establish this is to see what similar items are selling for.
Old 16th July 2010, 03:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konah Z View Post
I've recently run into a Zone VI enlarger and all the kit that goes with it and am being asked by the seller to make an offer based on my research. It seems that this is a good enlarger setup from the limited information I can find. I believe it is a series I. Prices on the web range from $399 from six years ago to $1000 today on ebay.
This includes an easel, timers, trays, pretty much anything that makes a darkroom.
So, my questions are:
What should I offer this gentleman?
Should I even consider buying this?
Does anyone have experience with this brand?
Any other information or thoughts pertaining top this or the world in general are very much appreciated.

Konah
I have a Mk1 identifiable by a single focusing bar/rod, I purchased it a couple of years ago for £500 the package included the enlarger with XL column, Zone VI VC head and controller, ZoneVI compensating timer,35mm, 6x6 and 5x4 neg carriers, the package also included were 1x12x16inch and 1x20x24inch 4 bladed Beard masking frames all in great condition, I guess the masking frames alone would be worth £250+

Because of the single focusing track rod I find the focusing movement a little sloppy I have made my own modifications to improve this problem, I believe the later version with twin focusing rails to be much improved, this enlarger is great for split grade printing and can be used in a variety of ways, I find the print times rather long on 35mm but much better with larger formats (can handle up to 5x7 inch negs).

My main worry is that if one of the tubes blow where would I get it replaced.

I have an excellent article by Les Mclean on this enlarger which I downloaded from the internet however I have tried google but can't find the address, best bet 'ask Les'.

Hope this helps
Old 16th July 2010, 04:46 PM
Friend

I was just going to say I am sure Les uses this enlarger or has used one at some stage. If you have any specifics to ask do try our 'Ask Les.'

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
I
My main worry is that if one of the tubes blow where would I get it replaced.
I believe the tubes were made by Aristo, and there's a question mark over whether they are still able to supply them. Check with Calumet who service the Zone VI brand and can probably advise.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 16th July 2010, 10:09 PM
Friend

I've used the MK II Zone VI VC enlarger for the past 15 years and can recommend it. With regard to the availability of the tubes I spoke to Richard Newman of Calumet America about 2 years ago and at that time Calumet could still supply replacements. I've no idea of a S/H value, suggest you start to haggle at about £300. As a matter of interest I saw an LED head in Richard Newman's darkroom a few years ago and was very impressed with the prints he made and his comments on it's performance. I have seriously considered replacing my Zone VI head for the LED.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:08 PM
Friend

Thanks all for the help, it is very appreciated. I'll have a chance to talk with the man selling the equipment in the next few days and see what will happen.
After years of sharing darkrooms I'm quite excited about having my own so I don't want to jump in head first without knowing the consequences.
Old 17th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Friend

Hi again
I found my copy of Les Mcleans article on the Zone VI enlarger, it is a second generation copy which I have scanned so the quality of the photos will not be wonderful however the text should be readable, follow the link below.

http://www.tonylakin.com/tonylakin/images/zvi%20enl.htm
Old 17th July 2010, 08:29 PM
Friend

Thanks vanannan, will print and read. I picked up a copy of "The Fine Print" by Fred Picker to go along with it too.
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:04 AM
Friend

I finally procured the enlarger and everything to go with it. Now I have to build the darkroom. Must say I'm excited!

Tags
cost, darkroom, enlarger, question, zone iv
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies