Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th August 2010, 07:56 PM
Friend

Default Camera Batteries - Let that be a lesson for me!

I got two CR2 lithium batteries about 15 months ago for my Pentax. The existing ones suddenly died when in Stratford-upon-Avon. I should already have had a spare set to carry with me but didn't.

I bought at great expense 2x CR2s from Boots( Jessops in Stratford didn't have any!) and was determined to get 2 spare batteries asap at a more reasonable price. However the terrible memory of that day faded and you can guess the rest. I forgot to buy 2 spare and the existing ones ran out on Sat night in mid shoot with no suitable shop nearby this time.

So those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it and I bought two CR2s today at Boots again.

I couldn't risk waiting maybe a week or at best several days while 7dayshop or an internet battery stockist sent 2 x CR2s.

I think I have learned my lesson now and intend to send away for spare batteries which will go into my camera pouch but it struck me that I should check first with FADU friends as to what stockists they use for batteries.

Apart from 7dayshop who probably can't be beaten on price I found another U.K. based supplier who is nearly as cheap but, and here may be the snag, I didn't recognise the brand names of either stockist's batteries.

So maybe cheapness( 2 batteries for about 25% of the price of the Duracell Ultras from Boots) equates to short life or maybe not.

Anyone's experience with lithium batteries in terms of stockist, brand etc would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike
Old 16th August 2010, 08:20 PM
Friend

I find The Small Battery Company, www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/ give very good value and their website gives all the details you could wish for on batteries, size, alternative ref. nos., uses, options etc. etc. They are mail order, prompt delivery and no costly postage charges for small orders.

Tony
Old 16th August 2010, 09:15 PM
Friend

We buy Duracells from 7dayshop and try to always have spares with us. We only once got caught out when a battery died in an EOS, whilst shooting in Plymouth, and I can still remember the pain of having to pay many £s for just one battery

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th August 2010, 09:19 PM
Friend

Thanks Tony I had heard of this company as being particularly good for a range of batteries but the memory bank retrieval is sometimes faulty :

Not quite as cheap as 7dayshop or the other site I found but I was a little worried as to the brands which I hadn't heard of.

Given that batteries are this company's basic raison d'etre this gives peace of mind.

Mike
Old 16th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Friend

I use the small battery co, very good, quick service.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:31 PM
Friend

Neil It appears as if 7dayshop no longer sells Duracell. The only one I spotted last night was a new one to 7dayshop called Power-stations batteries, However when I look tonight it lists Panasonic which is well known. Interestingly its Panasonic is about 50p more expensive than its Power-stations battery. My first reaction is that there has to be a reason such as longer life but who is to say.

Mike
Old 16th August 2010, 10:17 PM
Friend

I too have used the small battery company and found them to be very good.

Neil
Old 17th August 2010, 07:05 AM
Friend

Batteries in a camera? Whatever next?!!!

Steve.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Batteries in a camera? Whatever next?!!!

Steve.

Maybe 'auto-focus'

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th August 2010, 07:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Neil It appears as if 7dayshop no longer sells Duracell. The only one I spotted last night was a new one to 7dayshop called Power-stations batteries, However when I look tonight it lists Panasonic which is well known. Interestingly its Panasonic is about 50p more expensive than its Power-stations battery. My first reaction is that there has to be a reason such as longer life but who is to say.

Mike
Mike,
It has been a while since we last ordered but I would happily use the Panasonic ones instead.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies