Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th December 2012, 10:26 PM
Friend

Default Philips Darkroom Test Strip Printer PVB100

Like a dog with a bone I was reviewing my problem with opening FADU pdfs when I decided to check on my threads elsewhere as I suspected that I had downloaded a file there.

Anyway in going through my threads I came across the above in which I had asked if anyone had the instructions for it. Apparently there is a 4 page booklet.

At first sight the printer is relatively self explanatory, so much so I was left wondering if I was missing something, given it was 4 pages long, hence my curiosity and request.

So there's the long-winded story . Does anyone here have one and the 4 page instruction booklet that goes with it?

If anyone does, can they post in the manuals section? For some reason I can download and successfully open any pdf less than 1MB which I think a 4 page booklet would be

Sadly nothing has changed and I can't open a pdf that is bigger than around 1MB but I'll have to live with that.

Thanks

Mike
Old 20th December 2012, 10:50 AM
Friend

Default PVB100 Manual

Hi Mike
I have this test printer and a 3 sheet photocopy of the manual which I will gladly copy for you and send it to you. Perhaps you could email me your address
Best Regards Stewart
Old 20th December 2012, 11:23 AM
Friend

Thanks Stewart. PM on its way

Mike
Old 21st December 2012, 02:41 PM
Friend

I know what one of these Phillips test strippers look like but out of interest do they do anything that the standard Paterson version doesn't do?

In fact, I mostly use just 6 to 7 strips of numbered card, that I lay on a sheet of paper, as my test strip printer. I found, however much I like my Paterson one, that my bits of paper aren't the standard 5" x 4" to fit it most of the time time.

Terry S
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:46 PM
Friend

A bit slow in replying Terry but better late than never. You can do a 12 step test on a 8x10 sheet which fits into the Phillips and each strip is still bigger than the strip in a standard Paterson or you can do less than 12 strips which are even bigger. The problem or not with the Paterson(depending on how you perceive the use of a narrow strip) can be getting a big enough section of the neg on the strip.

It also doubles as a versatile borderless printer doing the following print sizes( metric measurements):

25x20 one;25x10 two; 12.5 x20 two; 12.5 x10 four;8.2x10 six;4.1x10 12. With the built -in masking one 20 x25 sheet allows a photocollage of various size prints. Good for a series of small potraits of the likes of children /grandchildren over say 5-10 years.

I learned two things about the PVB100 from Stewart's kind offer of a photocopy of the instructions( thanks Stewart, much appreciated). I knew neither because I was unaware when I bought mine on e-bay that two bits were missing.

1. There should be white tabs that can be turned after each strip's exposure so you know where you are. Easy to forget which strip you are on.
2. To do the 12.5 x20 prints you need two inserts that divide the 20x25 bottom exactly in half

So if you ever consider getting one and want all the functions make sure that the white tabs and inserts are included. However it will still do all of the test strip functions without these bits and most of the rest except two prints which are half of 8x10 inch where the inserts are needed

I hope this helps

Mike
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:21 PM
Friend

Wow! Who would have thought that so much could be said or written about a humble test strip printer?!?

Many thanks for that Mike!

Terry S
Old 11th December 2013, 04:34 PM
Friend

If someone can send me theses Philips PVB100 instructions, I will be happy.
Just PM me or send email directly through my account here.
Thanks you very much.
Ginette
Old 27th January 2018, 05:20 PM
Friend

This is like one of those "raves from the graves" so beloved of an old DJ on Radio 2 but a "chance encounter" as they say on another forum set me thinking.

If you look back at my post 5 you'll see that I mention white tabs that fit into six holes at the bottom of each strip. The holes are approx 3mm wide. I got my printer without the tabs but I suspect
that each tab which looks to be a flat rectangle based on the instructions I have, has a short peg at the bottom to fit the hole. I think that the rectangle may be hinged so that each time you expose a strip you turn the rectangle flat to indicate that strip has been exposed. Quite a good method to keep track of where you are when you are lifting sections, setting a timer, lowering sections, resetting timer etc

Now to the point of "my rave"

Has anyone any ideas as to what I might find that could be used/modified to fit the holes and indicate exposure? Even if something hinged cannot not be devised or found out there "in the market" so to speak the alternative might be simply removing the pegs each time.

White is ideal as it is under safelight conditions but a drop of paint might suffice.

Just looking for FADU knowledge and ingenuity here as I am not a natural designer/engineer.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Mike
Old 27th January 2018, 06:44 PM
Friend

Default Philips Darkroom Test Strip Printer PVB100

Hi Mike
I attach a couple of shots of the test strip printer and plastic pegs for your reference. I think you could easily improvise with pegs made from matchsticks or skewers - all you'd need to do is to stick a small tag of card to the wooden stick and it would do the job admirably I think
Good luck
Stewart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PK3_7349ACR10.0.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2815   Click image for larger version

Name:	PK3_7351ACR10.0.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2816   Click image for larger version

Name:	PK3_7353ACR10.0.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	2817  
Old 28th January 2018, 12:03 AM
Friend

Thanks, Stewart. Nice to know you still keep your eye out for FADU stuff. It looks as if the tabs are solid. If that is the case I assume that each time you expose a strip you either take the tab out of the hole which is pretty foolproof or have the row of empty holes and put one in each time which is equally foolproof. However it means inserting and removing each time which is more trouble.

I suppose you could turn the tab 90 degrees as long as it was a tight fit so that it stayed turned and couldn't be easily moved.

It might be that something like the old "Chinese Chequers " might do the job provided you pulled them out each time.

I suppose that a hinged tab might wear out and become prone to flopping over. This and cost might be the reason why the tabs are solid.

Ideas are still welcome from other FADUers

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies