Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th November 2017, 04:31 PM
Friend

I have a box of Oyster finish paper, which I happily use. It's like Ilford's Pearl surface but not quite as textured if you see what I mean. Without checking, I'd say it was very similar to Ilford RC, in weight and tone. All grades are easy to get.

I have never tried toning it or putting through a warm tone developer = it's something I must try now I know.

Terry S
Old 25th November 2017, 04:39 PM
Friend

Miha, I know you are a member of Photrio so you may have seen there what I am going to say. It would appear that Ilford RCVC does not tone very well so if Fotospeed does then that may be another advantage over Ilford. Having said that, it would seem from what I have read that Ilford's other paper, Kentmere, does tone better than Ilford.

I suppose that it may be that when Ilford began to make Kentmere paper it incorporated its toning qualities from the original recipe when Kentmere was a separate company making its own paper
in Kendall before its transfer to the Ilford factory

Mike
Old 26th November 2017, 11:53 AM
Friend

Thank you all for your additional comments.

Mike, I'm not really that interested in toning. What I like about this Fotospeed RCVC paper, at least by reading from description, is that it's a chloro-bromide paper.
Old 26th November 2017, 12:16 PM
Friend

Just looking it up on AG photographic's site, it says, to quote:

'The paper features an chloro-bromide emulsion made to Fotospeed's exacting specification - this is not re-badged Kentmere VC Select or Ilford MGIV. Crucially, this paper differes from the competition in it's reaction to selenium toning - normally this is reserved for FB papers, however the Fotospeed exhibits excellent D-Max intensification.'

Having not tried to selenium tone it after getting no difference with Ilford RC paper, I must put a print or two done on this paper through the toner to see the difference.

Terry S
Old 26th November 2017, 01:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Just looking it up on AG photographic's site, it says, to quote:

'The paper features an chloro-bromide emulsion made to Fotospeed's exacting specification - this is not re-badged Kentmere VC Select or Ilford MGIV. Crucially, this paper differes from the competition in it's reaction to selenium toning - normally this is reserved for FB papers, however the Fotospeed exhibits excellent D-Max intensification.'

Having not tried to selenium tone it after getting no difference with Ilford RC paper, I must put a print or two done on this paper through the toner to see the difference.

Terry S
Terry, I have never tried selenium toning, in fact I don't selenium tone anything, but in both Sepia and Blue it tone beautifully, also it split tones in sepia/blue very well indeed, It is made to Fotospeeds owm specs, which AFIK, the same as the late lamemted,(by me) sterling, it in all ways seems to be a re make of the late Indian Sterling, which was the first RC paper that was sold as Toning Paper, the only other RC paper that I have tried that matches it is the Kentmere RC paper,
Richard
Old 26th November 2017, 06:42 PM
Friend

A long time ago (early 90's) I had a couple of boxes of Sterling RC.
It was a very nice paper- if Fotospeed is the same formulation then it should be worth trying.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:33 PM
Friend

Can I say that Richard Gould,s description and explanation of Fotospeed paper is excellent. Several years ago I followed another tip from Richard, which was to To be honest I thought Fotospeed paper was no longer available.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:36 PM
Friend

Do not know what happened to the last "reply". I used fotospeed paper in warmtone developer and was very happy with it.
Which was originally a tip from Richard
I thought this paper was no longer available?
Old 1st December 2017, 07:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hall View Post
Do not know what happened to the last "reply". I used fotospeed paper in warmtone developer and was very happy with it.
Which was originally a tip from Richard
I thought this paper was no longer available?
-It was the sterling rebranded paper that went, due to the factory in India burning down, Fotospeed then had the paper made to their own specs by Agfa, along with a fibre based paper,Fotospeed Legasy, which again was a lovely WT paper, when Agfa went bust they dropped the Legacy paper, but they got the RCVC paper made to their own specs, which was the same formula as the original sterling paper by Harman/Ilford. fotospeed RCVC seems to be even more widely available than ever, it is stocked by AG and RK for sure,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies