Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd January 2011, 08:05 PM
Friend

Default Is your eye for composition getting better or worse?

I've been asking myself this question for a while, for quite a while actually but I already know the answer.
I have the definite feeling that my eye for composition has gone "off", and it's not a good feeling. I don't remember when or where but looking back through my contacts I see 2 things very clearly;
A deterioration in compositional quality caused by some very bad judgements at the picture taking stage. Generally a combination of both poor standpoints and poor framing.
And secondly, it all seemed so much easier 20years ago! (a student, single, no kids etc.)

I'm hoping that spending more time reading my new books and in the darkroom will help my 'eye' improve.
Or maybe, as I sometimes fear, I've already reached my peak and it's all downhill from here?

How's your eye for composition, these days?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:17 PM
Friend

I'm a believer in the advice of Fred Hunt, FRPS, of Brisbane, Australia.

"There's no such thing as 'composition'"
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:25 PM
Friend

Marty I think we all get this at some time, try a different format/aspect ratio it helps you see in a new way and you will cured. Your be OK, promise.
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:38 PM
Friend

Happens to us all from time to time, we all get though it,and generaly when things improve then you get better than ever, and remember that rules are made to be broken, and some of my best shots have been when I though the rule book out of the window,Richard
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:45 PM
Friend

Marty, I’m not sure that spending time in the darkroom will help you regain your eye for composition, but looking at the work of other artists may be useful. I don’t know if this is any help and I’m not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I know that some Colleges and Universities sometimes use a project for students called alphabet shapes. The idea is that you go out and try and record as many letters of the alphabet from shapes you encounter. This sort of project encourages students to look at shapes objectively rather than in a subjective reference. Also if you are using LF and I don’t know what your preferred format is, but the fact that with LF you usually view the image upside down, often helps in viewing the scene objectively.
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:05 PM
Friend

For me the best solution is to get out more and shoot more, it's the same as exercise and you can definitely train your eyes to pick out good compositions. If I find myself struggling I go out regardless of the weather and try to make it happen. Looking back I can see how the best pictures came when I was shooting the most.

Steve
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:15 PM
Friend

Hi Marty

It seems unlikely that your compositional ability is getting worse. Much more likely is that your notion of a good composition has changed a bit so that you are currently preferring your earlier work. Give it some time, and keep putting film through the camera, and you will probably find that your compositional preferences will continue to change and evolve. At some stage you may discover that your current work is your favourite.

Ian
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanW View Post
I'm a believer in the advice of Fred Hunt, FRPS, of Brisbane, Australia.

"There's no such thing as 'composition'"
Interesting; Edward Weston said the complete opposite, "the strongest way of seeing is through composition".

Personally I think its over-rated and I love composing badly.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:15 PM
Friend

I like to visit Art galleries, on and offline, when I'm in need of inspiration. If you study the work of the Master painters and photographers and their techniques, then by simple unconscious absorbtion, your compositional skill will only improve...guaranteed !!
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Personally I think its over-rated and I love composing badly.
I would be interested to know what you mean by this statement. Badly is a subjective term.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies