Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th May 2020, 11:22 PM
Friend

as much as I love medium format ,there's one thing I don't like about the cameras ,and that's waist level finders ,if I get one with one I get a eye level finder as fast as I can (when I can afford to) ,the rolleiflex I just bought has the waist level finder and I am struggling with it ,also with my back problem I have to bend forward and look down ,the weight is taken up with my monopod but the bending kills my back ,its a shame I cannot get an adapter to fit a Hasselblad eye level finder on it .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 12th May 2020, 06:18 AM
Friend

Default Waist Level finders

Conversely to you, I have long thought of a waist level finder as the ideal.
With medium format (6x6) placing a camera on a tripod and looking down this takes time and makes you meaning me, slow down and take in the view through the lens.

The image being laterally reversed does not bother me either because I can nearly always 'see' what potential the picture has and study the composition. If I didn't like it when I looked at the negative, it is easy to just flip the negative over.

When I submitted my panel to the RPS to gain my ARPS (A long time ago) out of all the pictures, only one was from 35mm with a prism finder. The others were from a mixture of a Mamiya 645, Rollieflex 'T' and a Minolta Autocord.
Old 12th May 2020, 06:56 AM
Friend

I agree with, I prefer a waist level finder with MF, 66 or 645, the folders are all eye level, and the Rolleiflex/cord's are waistlevel, but my EYRSi's I have prism finders, but for 90% of my Bronica work I use a waist level, finder, only using the prism finder for portrait composin with the view the wrong way round has become second nature,
Richard
Old 12th May 2020, 03:59 PM
Friend

Well, my new toy arrived, I’m smitten! Gentle bimble along the beach, neck strap, no problem with weight, love the clunky sound it makes when firing. Very happy bunny! 🤓😁

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th May 2020, 04:18 PM
Friend

Hope you enjoy it.
A new camera is sometimes a new window on the world, and makes you look at things a slightly different way.
Old 12th May 2020, 05:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hope you enjoy it.
A new camera is sometimes a new window on the world, and makes you look at things a slightly different way.

It certainly does that, even the reverse image doesn’t bother me, it has made me think more about composition, taking time to consider each shot 😎

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th May 2020, 05:43 PM
Friend

There are two things I like about 6x6 and look down viewfinders. it does not matter how you hold the camera the negative is always the right way up.

One of my fav image is where I held the Bronica on its side out over a bridge side with the viewfinder at I eye level so I could get the framing right. Another was where I could not see over a crowd so held the camera upside down above my head to get the shot.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th May 2020, 05:58 PM
Friend

One of the great things about shooting in MF, either 66 or 645, especially with te waist level finder is it slows you down that you consider each frame a lot more carefully, it slows you down, I find that with either my Rollei's folders or the Bronica is that I tend to come back with more keepers than with 35mm, after all, with 35mm you have 36 frames, but with your Bronica you have only 12, so have fun with it, enjoy a new experience and a mew way of looking at the wotld
Richard
Old 12th May 2020, 06:23 PM
Friend

Default Dislikes

The only thing I don't like about 6x6 is the way the negatives are projected onto the baseboard sideways on. That is a problem when you are trying to compose an oblong image.

I had the use of a Pentacon 6 some years ago and of course that winds film on like a 35mm so it was much easier. The wind-on like a lot of the Eastern Bloc medium format was to be kind - unreliable.

The Zeiss lenses on the other hand, were as sweet as the best, especially
the 50mm.
Old 21st May 2020, 08:29 AM
Friend

The talk of reversed images in waist level finders reminded me of a lovely touch in the comedy play by J B Priestley titled "When We are Married."
Set in Victorian or Edwardian times, a photographer is hired to take an anniversary photograph. He arrives with tripod and plate camera,
and is handed a framed photograph of the three couples on their wedding day, taken many years ago.
With a bit of a flourish, he turns the picture upside down, and has good look at it.
He explains "we professionals see the image better this way."
A nice bit of humour lost on most people.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies