Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2016, 07:01 AM
Friend

Default and action

some good news Kodak has brought out a new super 8 cine camera ,that uses digital technology and records on film ,its great to hear that movie film is doing well as is film in general ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 6th January 2016, 01:05 PM
Friend

Interesting. I am assuming that unlike Super 8 it records sound and otherwise does everything that a digi-cam does

However even if it doe,s I do wonder how many people will be prepared to pay for film processing, assuming that such processing is easily obtainable

Then there is the question of showing the film. I assume that a projector and screen is required.

Frankly I am amazed that Kodak has invested money in what seems to me to be a niche product with what I'd have thought is a very small rate of return at best and a loss maker at worst.

Mike
Old 6th January 2016, 01:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Frankly I am amazed that Kodak has invested money in what seems to me to be a niche product with what I'd have thought is a very small rate of return at best and a loss maker at worst.

Mike
Mike, I'm sure they have done a business plan to work out the financial wisdom of such a venture.

The Cine-Camera may be a break-even leader - but the film stock should provide a healthy profit stream.

Kodak are a global company and there are a heck of a lot of would-be customers out there (world wide)

I doubt in 50 years time any of the current digital video file formats will be supported, even if the media was still readable.

Film is a much more stable product and there are lots of people who are now waking up to discover just how transient their digital records are.

Martin
Old 6th January 2016, 03:33 PM
Friend

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...16/default.htm

Tony
Old 6th January 2016, 04:09 PM
Friend

there are so many variables with so called image capture , but film is the only constant .when I went to buy a new laptop computer some of them did not have CD/DVD players on them when I ask how do you load stuff on they said by the cloud , what ever that means ?? I have film taken of me and my family by my dad in the 1960s nothing wrong with it still works fine ..I agree with martin when it comes to digital they bring out something new all the time .its like music now people buy downloads they are paying just for a signal to be sent to there computer and they don't even own it ,so now more and more people are starting to go back to vinyl for there music ...good luck Kodak anything that keeps film going is good for us.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 6th January 2016, 06:18 PM
Friend

I read this news elsewhere. The camera is being made by a small company who recently introduced a very expensive Super8 model for professional use. I have made quite a lot 8mm films over the years, but recently it has become more difficult to obtain film and processing. If anyone is interested in trying 8mm movies, there is a company called 'gauge film' based in England who supply and process film as well as making digital transfers. They do Standard and Super8 films, and may also process 16mm. There are loads of useable cameras and projectors around for low prices. Having bought at least 20 8mm cameras over the years, I can think of only one that didn't work. Many of them seem to have been well made and well looked after. The main difficulty you are likely to encounter is obsolete batteries for meter and auto exposure systems. I hope the release of the new camera gives rise to more film and processing options.
Alex.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:11 AM
Friend

Default Super 8 reincarnated.

there are a lot of unanswered questions about this and that will probably be down to commercial interests being very guarded.

There was a similar thread on APUG forum and some of the posts made quite interesting reading, but no one really knows except the prospective manufacturer.

Processing will probably limited to one or two places and quite expensive. Who is going to manufacture the film? Is it still available anyway. If it is based upon current cinema film which is processed as a negative and copies for showing in a cinema are printed onto other film stock. Seeing as this venture is being down to Kodak, I wonder would this/could this this possibly be a catalyst for them to reintroduce Kodchrome?
Old 7th January 2016, 11:55 AM
Friend

Most of my 8mm films were made between 1992 and 2002. During that time Kodachrome film disappeared, but Kodak still had Ektachrome films available, although the speeds changed at one point which created issues for Super8 users with cameras that read film speed information from notches on the film cartridge. I'm not sure how people worked around this as a large number of camera models would have been affected. In the late '90's, there was still colour reversal film available for Standard 8 cameras, and I used that more than Super8, so I avoided dealing with the speed issue with the new Ektachrome. Latterly, I have used B&W films in Super and Standard. Kodak Tri-X was, and I think still is, available in Super8, together with film from Orwo, and possibly Foma. Colour reversal seemed to be limited to a version of Agfa Aviphot. I used an odd Kodak B&W stock in Standard 8 in 2014, but that seems to have dried up. I have been aware, during the last few years, that the emphasis in Super8 seems to have been on Kodak colour negative films. This seems to be related to the development of digital movie making, where the original is created on negative film, but transferred to digital media for broadcast. That trend is reflected in the announcement from Kodak of the new camera, and associated services. I'm not an expert on movie making, but from looking at the way Super8 has 'evolved' over the past 15-20 years, the development of this new camera system is perhaps not such a big surprise. I don't expect, however, that it will create a new market for reversal films, colour or B&W. The problem for most people looking to get into that would be the need to project the finished films. People who have previous experience of showing films won't find it a big hurdle, but I doubt that many newcomers would be keen on setting up a projector and screen. The TV type models were easier to use, and store, but I haven't seen too many of them for sale. I did once see a Bolex 18-5 projecting Standard8 onto the lid of its case which was propped up on a worktop about a metre from the projector. I don't know if this was a commercially available case, or something homemade, but it worked very well.
I understand that there are still a lot of serious film makers, amateur and professional, working with Super8, so I expect the new camera will give them the option of a reliable and up to date device which can connect with modern recording technology. I hope it is successful.
Alex.
Old 20th January 2016, 04:47 PM
Friend

I've been working with Super8 and 16mm ever since I got interested in photography - infact, I was interested in motion picture before I was interested in stills (which is kind of the wrong way around really because I cant think of a better grounding for motion picture than shooting stills with black and white film and a manual mechanical cameras...)

Make no mistake, the release of this camera by Kodak is a massive deal not only for motion picture but ALL analogue photography. This is why: The reason behind the release is to draw new film makers into shooting on film. If they keep shooting film, Kodak keep making it. If they keep making motion picture, this helps to support stills film. If they keep making Kodak stills film this helps keep interest in analogue photography in a general sense - which keep Ilford etc alive and well (Ilford have told me they believe the demise of Kodak films would impact adversely on their business because it could impact analogue in a general sense)

in the big scheme of things, this little Super8 camera is a massive deal for all analogue photography, in my view.

....and I'll be acquiring one as soon as they are available!! It's what I always wanted a super8 camera be, on the basis that, these days, Super8 is a capture format with the majority of footage shot on colour negative for direct telecine transfer into the digital domain.
Old 7th February 2016, 10:02 PM
Friend

It's a fair guess that Kodak might be drawing on the experiences of these people, who launched a new super 8 camera last year:

http://www.logmar.dk/ - The Logmar sample video is worth seeing (not for its content, it's incredibly uninteresting) as a demonstration of the picture quality possible with modern film transport. Sound is recorded onto an SD card with a timecode to enable synchronisation when computer editing film scans.

The Logmar camera is somewhat overengineered, but no doubt the same principles could be applied to a more economically produced camera with very similar results.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress of this project, just hope the camera will be affordable. Still, I can always stick with my rather awesome Canon 814XLS which produces much nicer results than the Panasonic HD Camcorder I bought several years ago.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies