Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th February 2022, 06:29 PM
Friend

Default Preferred developer for Delta 100 and 400

In Martin's terrific favourite film polls I mentioned I'd never been able to get good results with Delta 100. But I noticed that quite a few poll respondents noted D-100 as their no. 1 or 2 favourite. I'm curious to what developer you all are using to make this film work for you?

I've tried it several times using two different developers. In dilute Perceptol (1+1) it gave very nice tonality, but rendered a super-clean, smooth, grainless digital look that I don't care for at all. In dilute D76 (1+1) the contrast was too harsh - all blacks and whites, no subtle gradations, lacking rich mid-tones, even in flat light (granted, I have not tried playing around with development times or agitation to improve tonality).

I still have a bunch of rolls to shoot and don't want to just let them expire. But if I can't get good results I will just forget 'em and sell them on.

FWIW - I have the following developers on hand which I can use with D-100: Xtol, HC110, Rodinal, D76, and Microphen. I can also do homebrewed Perceptol, but I've already ruled that out as not my cup of tea with this film.

Many thanks in advance.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies