Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th July 2022, 12:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
And was waiting for me when I got back today from a short rest in France, two very small but lovely prints taken with a compact camera, one of a seascape with a very impressive pile of hanging wraic (Seaweed) on a railing, was it taken after a storm? and the second taken in a wildlife park, love the way it is looking at me straight in the eyes,as if to say what are you up to.
Love them and a great addition to my collection Thanks Terry.
Richard
Just as I was getting worried about delivery Richard! I hope you had a good break.

Thank you for the kind comments and I'm glad that you like them.

As Richard says, I sent him two smaller prints for this round, as that's what I like to print at the moment, with the two prints being about 5 3/8" / 13.8mm x 4 7/8" / 12cm. The two fit on a sheet of 10" x 8".

The first, of the seafront just along the road from me, (Westcliff on Sea) was taken on a slightly overcast day, so I had to burn in some sky tone, whilst dodging the seaweed, to get some detail in it. And to answer your question Richard, no it wasn't after a storm, the seaweed in the picture was growing on the wooden structure.

The second print, was taken on another recent visit to a recently re-opened, 'Call of the wild Zoological Park'. This was a much sunnier day, which gave a crisper print with a bit more contrast. The llama decided to stand and stare at me whilst taking this picture, probably wondering what publication he would be appearing in.

I have now put them in the June 2022 gallery.

Terry S
Old 11th July 2022, 01:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
My contribution has also made it into the post at the last minute.

Mike
Many, many apologies Mike, but I have just realised that I filed your prints for this round away, without commenting on them first!

Mike has been kind enough to send me two 10 x 8's, both taken in Spain, in a square in Palacios del Alcor.

The first is a close-up of a replica of a postbox on a wall, which Mike believes is made of plaster. The design is of a gurning stylized face of a man, with his mouth being begrudgingly open to accept post. The tone in the face and hair is good but the surrounding white-ish wall is quite contrasty and I think that I agree with Mike, that it might have been easier to have made the print on a lower grade still than the grade 1.5 already used. On an overdeveloped roll of film, of mine, recently, I had to use grade 0 filter for the first time ever when printing. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how good a print was made, as illustrations in Ilford printing books, generally show a grade 0 print to be very low contrast and having only light grey tones, whilst my print had good black and whites and a range of tones throughout.

The second print, is of a large section of stone wall, with various designs on it, done in the tromp l'oeil style:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trompe-l%27%C5%93il

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tromp+l%27...ages&ia=images

If I'm correct, the above mentioned postbox can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the second print.

Although I like the first print for it frame filling size and subject matter, the second print for me is printed at just the right grade and tone.

The subject matter also made me curious enough to try and find the square on the internet, but without success, but the images found show the place to be very photogenic and a place worth visiting.

Apologies for the delay in commenting Mike and thanks once more for the prints.

Terry S
Old 12th July 2022, 02:44 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Many, many apologies Mike, but I have just realised that I filed your prints for this round away, without commenting on them first!

Mike has been kind enough to send me two 10 x 8's, both taken in Spain, in a square in Palacios del Alcor.

Terry S
Glad it arrived. I was beginning to to wonder if the Royal Mail had lost it!
While I agree with Terry about the contrast between the sculpture and and wall, I wanted to maximise the contrast within the sculpture which was an overall a bronzy colour. It is actually a copy of an actual post box. Palacios del Alcor is well off the beaten track and is largely an abandoned ruin of a village. More details when I post the images:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...4!4d-4.3712878

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 12th July 2022 at 02:48 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies