Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th October 2020, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
The lack of sunshine has had me thinking about alternatives and I had been wondering about UV light bulbs like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Equivalent-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Ian
Ian, I am not an expert on this matter, so can only pass on what I've read over the years.

The lamps that you have linked too, I believe are not the ones you require, for they are much too weak. The linked ones, are for what they show in the thumbnail pictures, which is basically for parties etc. to make fluorescent paint and markers glow in the dark.

Alex above mentions that he uses a 'UV tanning lamp', which is the sort of thing you will need. Cheapish and workable ones are sold on the original link that had the kit on that you thought of buying.

Checking other sites, the cheapest facial unit I could find is on ebay, with a new one starting at £68.00, but is not designed for photographic use, like the one on the original site link, but who said our hobby was cheap?

I'd recommend doing a bit more searching to see what others use for their UV exposures, which will cover quite a range, to include the above, to including quite a lot of diy boxes fitted with UV tubes. It all depends on your diy abilities and how much you want to spend.

Terry S
Old 7th October 2020, 02:21 PM
Friend

Hi Terry,

Thanks for that, pretty much confirmed what I expected.

Think I might have to see if I can stretch to the extended kit which includes the correct lamp.

It's the same price as the smaller kit + the lamp, but you get slightly more of the solutions.

Ian
Old 7th October 2020, 03:59 PM
Friend

Sorry I made a mistake with my symbols It should have been that Mike Ware warns against using water with a PH of greater than 7 so I should have used PH > 7 and not PH < 7. It is water that is neutral which is 7 or acidic and thus less than 7 that he says is needed

Mike
Old 17th October 2020, 11:13 AM
Friend

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, as always informative.

Well I've bought a quite expensive kit on clearance from Silverprint, but it has a fair bit of everything in it.

Been reading up on the UV light needed and according to a couple of sources I could find it needs to be a wavelength of 365nm, a lot of the led strips and other bulbs are not suitable as they seem to be around the 400nm wavelength.

But good old EBay, has a 40w 365nm mini fluorescent E27 lamp for just £7 inc postage, so might be worth experimenting with some sort of DIY set up.

Ian
Old 17th October 2020, 12:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
But good old EBay, has a 40w 365nm mini fluorescent E27 lamp for just £7 inc postage, so might be worth experimenting with some sort of DIY set up.

Ian
A good price if it works Ian.

Out of interest, is this the one or similar to what you've seen, which is £6.99 for a 40 watt bulb?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-40W-E2...EAAOSwnqxfGnf9

It seems to cover a range of light, with the info saying that it covers 365NM:

Wavelength range: 300 ~ 400nm
Main wave : 365NM

I look forward to replies from others who are much more knowledgeable about this than me, but for some reason I have my doubts about it. I say this, mainly because of the light covering such a wide NM value. That along with the much lower wattage, even taking into consideration that it would be equivalent to a higher wattage (normal) bulb.

But if the lamp is workable, it could be a very cheap option to get into cyanotypes.

I'll step back now and wait to see what other more experienced practitioners have to say.

Terry S
Old 17th October 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Let us know how the lamp works out

Thanks
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th October 2020, 04:51 PM
Friend

Terry - yes that looks like the one. If I go ahead was thinking to mount a pair in a foiled lined curver type box.

Quendil - Will let you know what happens, although will be New Year before I report back, as the kit is an Xmas present from my better half, so won't see it til then,

Ian
Old 17th October 2020, 07:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Quendil - Will let you know what happens, although will be New Year before I report back, as the kit is an Xmas present from my better half, so won't see it til then,

Ian

Thats quite quick for me
Old 19th October 2020, 09:34 AM
Friend

They also sell citric acid seperately and I quote:

“Used in the cyanotype process to acidify alkali water conditions. A better and longer tonal range with stronger shadows is obtained if the image is developed in a weak citric acidic bath for a minute or two.
Can also be used in the cyanotype toning process.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I have searched a bit deeper on citric acid and its use in cyanotype. I googled citric acid in cyanotype printing and it comes up with a whole host of sources. One of the main ones is Mike Ware and he mentions it

In a nutshell it would appear that while citric acid does make a difference in depth of blue it looks to be marginal amount and it can be done without

The problem with research reading is that it can answer some questions but raise others.

One of which may be of interest to those of us who live in areas that have alkaline water( hard water) as opposed to acidic water(soft water) such that Alex is blessed with in Scotland.

Mike Ware warns of the effect of washing in water with PH < 7, saying that water of less than PH 7 must not be used but as there may be people in areas with mains water greater than then I couldn't find what to do about it

I may not have been looking hard enough, mind you and anyway it may not in practice make that much difference in the eyes of the average user

I can find my water hardness in all sorts of measures but not for the life of me can I see anything on converting the water hardness scales into PH

Mike
Old 19th October 2020, 10:40 AM
Friend

Thanks for posting that information, Dave. I am going to try that next time I make cyanotypes. I have citric acid in stock.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies