Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2021, 12:57 PM
Friend

Previously I mentioned assembling a small film developing kit to take with you.
If anyone was thinking along those lines, they might like to know that Tetenal are now producing Film Developer tablets and Fixer tablets.
Not a new idea, as over the years various firms produced photography chemicals in tablet form.

I have no idea if they are expensive to use and how good the results are but it is something to bear in mind.

Cheers.
Old 14th September 2021, 03:33 PM
Friend

Here's what Ilford said to me in the last few weeks when I asked what progress, if any it had made with airport authorities on the subject: From: technical <technical@harmantechnology.com>

Sent: 24 August 2021 15:56

To: mike.opray1@btinternet.com

Subject: RE: Ilford Photo "Airport CT Scanners - Latest Update"

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email.
We will be issuing an update on this imminently. So full details will be published on our website in the next week or so.

I can confirm our conclusions that CT scanning is unsafe for film and our upcoming report will include some sensitometry and further examples from the tests we did.

The DFT have been excellent to work with and in the UK it will now be possible to ask for a hand inspection of film at all airports where CT scanning is employed.

Globally we are working with our distribution partners to communicate with other regulatory bodies (although there's work to do here). In the US it is already possible to ask for hand inspection when travelling with film.

We have some other initiatives in place, so please keep an eye on our website / social for a more detailed communication in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Neil.

Technical Services
technical@harmantechnology.com

@ilfordphoto
HARMAN technology ltd
Ilford Way, Mobberley, Cheshire, WA16 7JL, UK
harmantechnology.com ilfordphoto.com

I should add that "imminently" may be a "movable feast" as I have seen nothing further on Ilford's site However it would seem to indicate that some progress has been made in terms of Heathrow and presumably all other UK airports now accommodating requests for hand inspection

The position of EU airports and wider rest of the world airports is less clear but what would now seem to be the case is that air travel between U.K. and U.S. is OK as in the U.S. hand inspection has always there

Mike
Old 14th September 2021, 04:03 PM
Friend

Here's a test that was carried out, recently.
https://emulsive.org/articles/experi...mage-your-film

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th April 2022, 10:01 AM
Friend

Does anyone know how to find out which airports use CT scanners? I'm off to Malta next week for my daughter's wedding. Flying out from Luton and back to Gatwick. I'm obviously taking B&W film as she's requested some 'proper' photographs! I've never had a problem in the past with getting films hand-checked but I haven't flown since Brexit & covid have changed the world a bit.
Old 30th April 2022, 11:56 AM
Friend

Rob I don't know the answer to your question but it might be worthwhile contacting both Luton and Gatwick to see if they will honour what I understand to be an agreement that Ilford allegedly has with the Department of Transport that in those airports with CT scanners they will comply with a request for a hand search of film

Indeed several months ago Ilford declared it had persuaded the ministry that CT scanners were unsafe and this the ministry agreed to issue instructions/ guidelines airport security should accede to a request for a hand search

Someone called Agulliver from Luton who is a Photrio member had made it his mission to press the authorities for a solution and hand searching was offered by the ministry as that solution

Mike
Old 30th April 2022, 02:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Does anyone know how to find out which airports use CT scanners? I'm off to Malta next week for my daughter's wedding. Flying out from Luton and back to Gatwick. I'm obviously taking B&W film as she's requested some 'proper' photographs! I've never had a problem in the past with getting films hand-checked but I haven't flown since Brexit & covid have changed the world a bit.

Rob, if you have time I suggest you ship the film. My experience (here in N. America anyway) is that requesting a hand inspection usually works fine with the security people being quite cooperative, but I’ve had the odd one who insists that anything slower than 400iso is safe in the scanner and then just chucks it through. For something as important as wedding photos you may not want to chance it. Besides, who knows what you’ll face in Malta.

BTW, one thing NOT to do is put the film in a lead pouch in your check-in luggage. I made that mistake and learned the hard way that when they see that opaque object they just crank up the juice on the scanner until they can see through it. I lost at least 6 films that way :-(

Enjoy the trip though. Sounds wonderful, and what a special day for a dad. Congrats!
Old 30th April 2022, 05:57 PM
Friend

Luton might not but Gatwick certainly will have CT scanners.

Have you thought about taking out a development tank and developing the films out there - you will reduce the films exposure to the dreaded machines ?

What ever you do - have a lovely time and enjoy the occasion.

Best wishes

Martin
Old 30th April 2022, 09:20 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info and good wishes. I certainly will enjoy it! Being Father of the Bride is a bit daunting but having my old OM1 with me to hang on to will help! I managed to speak to someone at Malta airport and whilst the lady had no idea about scanners she said they're always happy to do a hand check as long as I allow a few minutes extra. Gatwick shouldn't be a problem as I've never had hand luggage scanned inbound anyway. I'm aiming to be at Luton three hours before the flight so I should be able to sort something. I'll report back! Incidentally, the last time I flew, about 3 years ago, my Yashicamat caused great bafflement at Stansted!
Old 1st May 2022, 08:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Luton might not but Gatwick certainly will have CT scanners.

Have you thought about taking out a development tank and developing the films out there - you will reduce the films exposure to the dreaded machines ?

What ever you do - have a lovely time and enjoy the occasion.

Best wishes

Martin

Martin,

If you take out unexposed film with you it will get fogged - making subsequent exposure useless. If you could buy the film at yoiur destination it may get fogged comming back. The hand search appears to be the only solution but it may be refused at some locations.

A good friend of mine who goes to Greece often has given up on taking his camers there.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 1st May 2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 1st May 2022, 09:22 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I am off to Spain at the beginning of June. Is sending film by post to my destination a way round these problems? Does anyone know if parcels get routinely Xrayed as they presumably get flown abroad?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies