Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd January 2021, 12:39 PM
Friend

Default UV Light Source for Cyanotypes - would this work?

I'm planning to have another go at cyanotypes. I've used sunlight before but it's inconsistent (and often unavailable!) so looking at UV light sources. I've found a few things online including this which looks good value. The point is will it work though? Any other ideas for affordable UV light sources welcome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50W-LED-F...MAAOSw2mhfloH2
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:06 PM
Friend

Hi Rob,

On the other Cyanotype thread there are a few suggestions from me and a couple of others.

I had thought about a cheap bulb from Ebay, which Terry bought and has tried out, but I think reading his replies that it was perhaps not the best, and he had bought a 50w flood light which seems to give good results.

I guess he will see this thread and comment himself.

I had some money for Christmas and decided to buy a dedicated lamp which I have yet to try out but fully expect it to work without a problem it's this one

https://cyanotype.co.uk/uvlamp1.html

According to the supplier it has a life of 10,000 hours.

Hope this helps

Ian
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I'm planning to have another go at cyanotypes. I've found a few things online including this which looks good value. The point is will it work though?
Rob, as mentioned, it's well worth checking out and reading the whole links messages mentioned. Yes it's long, but there is a lot of info on there which will have you up and running straightaway rather than finding the right light, paper and process etc. etc.

The link is here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=13447

As for the light you are looking at on ebay, and will it work with cyanotypes, I'm not sure. For to make cyanotypes, requires a particular light wave and this one doesn't give enough details to say yes or no.

As mentioned, in the link, there is mention of at least three lamps that work. They are at different places in the price structure and all will work and give colour. BUT, the cheaper one takes AT LEAST an hours exposure to start to get anything decent in colour, where as the £40-ish one is very well made and will give you a good deep blue colour in 15 minutes, and probably a lot less, as experiments are still on going. The other one that Ian has linked to hasn't been tested by him yet, but the site says that it is suitable.

The lamp you have linked to is really on the cheap end, so if you feel lucky, buy one and try it. But if you want to get straight into the process, then check out the ones on the link and buy one of them. I got mine next day with a seller on Amazon UK btw.

Have fun with it all and let us all know how you get on, and let us know what works or doesn't work for you, as most of us are picking it all up as we go along.

Terry S
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Also, be aware that there are a lot of "germicidal lamp" scams on ebay and amazon since covid - often they are just violet LEDs - not UV at all... I would be suspicious of high powered ones especially as UV leds are not normally very powerful - they cost around twice the price of standard colour LEDS per watt.

Last edited by Bob; 3rd January 2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Rob, as mentioned, it's well worth checking out and reading the whole links messages mentioned. Yes it's long, but there is a lot of info on there which will have you up and running straightaway rather than finding the right light, paper and process etc. etc.

The link is here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=13447

As for the light you are looking at on ebay, and will it work with cyanotypes, I'm not sure. For to make cyanotypes, requires a particular light wave and this one doesn't give enough details to say yes or no.

As mentioned, in the link, there is mention of at least three lamps that work. They are at different places in the price structure and all will work and give colour. BUT, the cheaper one takes AT LEAST an hours exposure to start to get anything decent in colour, where as the £40-ish one is very well made and will give you a good deep blue colour in 15 minutes, and probably a lot less, as experiments are still on going. The other one that Ian has linked to hasn't been tested by him yet, but the site says that it is suitable.

The lamp you have linked to is really on the cheap end, so if you feel lucky, buy one and try it. But if you want to get straight into the process, then check out the ones on the link and buy one of them. I got mine next day with a seller on Amazon UK btw.

Have fun with it all and let us all know how you get on, and let us know what works or doesn't work for you, as most of us are picking it all up as we go along.

Terry S
Thanks for that. I have read through that thread now and learnt a lot. I suppose I'm just trying to be a bit cheapskate. I think I'm going to invest in one of the better lamps mentioned anyway. I'll post some scans once I get up and running.
Old 9th March 2021, 07:51 PM
longhouselife

I built a wooden box, approx 16x20x6 inches out of 1x6 and a sheet of 6mm plywood.

Inside on opposing sides I have two 20w 365nm LED Blacklight bulbs (https://cpc.farnell.com/qtx/160-023u...P=TREML007-005). I have two surface mount holders for the bulbs with wiring lead back to the outside and two rocker switches, thence to the mains socket.

Currently I use a repurposed 10x8 Paterson contact frame with the mask removed to make my contact prints within. Everything is just placed on top of my work bench in the darkroom. Can be stored away if I need the table space.

It seems to work fine for my needs currently. I get on average 3 - 10 minute print times for Salt Prints. I could of course use the sun - if I ever see it here in NW Scotland... Although a bright cloudy day gives better print contrast at the expense of longer exposure times I hear.
Old 10th March 2021, 11:35 AM
Friend

Probably not big enough for your use, but I use a UV LED torch to set resins on some of the trout flies that I tie.
A few fly tiers recommend you close your eyes when it is switched on in case of any damage to your eyesight. Also keeping your fingers clear of the beam in case of UV burns.
Welders use face masks covering the whole face, not just the eyes, and they also wear gloves. Not only to protect from sparks but also UV burns.
I have never looked technically at UV light sources and possible side effects but it would be well worth checking it out.
The levels of UV that you require may well be as safe as houses. I do not know.
Well worth investigating for your own safety.

Sorry to be a damp squib.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies