Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th July 2022, 06:06 PM
Friend

Default Nikon EM problem

I have recently acquired A lovely little Nikon EM, but with new batteries fitted and battery indicator light coming on, when I look through the viewfinder and press the shutter half way the needle which is at the very top, shoots straight down to the bottom red area and the camera makes a beeping sound, then the mirror locks up and I remove the batteries to unlock the mirror,
This happens whatever lens , aperture or ISO setting I have it on, plus if I switch it to M90 or remove the batteries it fires every time.
I realize it can be used without batteries , but would really like to use it in aperture priority with the meter working.
Any advice or info would be very helpful as its too nice a camera to just leave on the shelf.
Thankyou.
Old 26th July 2022, 06:16 PM
Friend

You could try cleaning the lens to camera contacts. And anay other contacts you can give a clean without stripping the camera down.

Neil

Neil Souch
Old 26th July 2022, 07:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
You could try cleaning the lens to camera contacts. And anay other contacts you can give a clean without stripping the camera down.

Neil
Hi and Thanks
I have tried this to no avail , the same thing happens even without a lens fitted, I also put in an old test film and wound it on half a dozen frames in M90 then switched to auto, same thing.
Old 27th July 2022, 08:07 AM
Friend

I've had two EMs and had a great many problems with them but not this one exactly though on one the meter failed completely.. Eventually I threw the bodies away as it was uneconomical to fix them. While they did work they were good happy snappers and without a meter worked Ok on M90 with flash.
I noticed that the supposed slowest auto speed, 1sec in the instruction book, was 2 seconds and with the backlight compensation button held down you got two extra stops. Not unusual to find newer features on devices and the instructions not reprinted to mention them.
Old 27th July 2022, 08:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Hi and Thanks
I have tried this to no avail , the same thing happens even without a lens fitted, I also put in an old test film and wound it on half a dozen frames in M90 then switched to auto, same thing.
OK, that's good - hopefully someone here can help.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th July 2022, 09:12 AM
Friend

I’ve never owned the EM, but can appreciate the appeal of the small size of the camera. In the Autofocus years, Nikon made the F75, which is also very compact, and would be a good EM replacement if yours cannot be fixed. It sounds like EM electronics may be approaching their ‘use by’ date. The downside of the later cameras, like the F75 is that the meter doesn’t work with manual lenses. The good thing is that they can still be found at low prices.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 27th July 2022, 01:29 PM
Friend

If you are wanting to buy another one of the Nikon EMs, I have just checked eBay UK and there are a few available at both low starting prices and a few at very low 'Buy it now' prices.

Terry S
Old 27th July 2022, 05:15 PM
Friend

Thankyou for the replies, I'll mull over what to do next, its a shame to have such a lovely little camera sitting there, but with this problem, but it is what it is, but I do have an F301 ,so I'll stick with that for now .
Thanks
TG
Old 27th July 2022, 06:15 PM
Friend

I have an em here that cames as a lens cap on a used lens. Seller claimed it didnt work but alls that was wrong was the body mounted ring that the aperture adjustment ring operates. It had jammed all the way to one side against the spring. Gentle push and camera burst into life... still sticks once in a blue moon
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies