Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th October 2011, 08:34 PM
Friend

Default Hello from Ireland

Hello to all on this forum.. I am slowly getting more and more interested in film photography having spent the past many years in the digital world. I have been collecting some older film cameras and I have to say I really love them. My preference is monochrome, HP5. My small film camera collection is:

Canon A1 (in excellent condition)
Olympus OM10
FED 5C

I am getting to the stage where a darkroom is my next project, I was offered a Meopta Meograde Magnifax 4A in excellent condition and its complete with a Nikon EL-NIKKOR 50mm 1:2.8 lens plus some timers and chemicals and measuring pots etc. I think I will buy this kit and make some plans to build my darkroom...

I am still scratching my head if this is the right thing to do... 60% committed at this stage.. I think I need a little push to get me to the 90% mark, my wife thinks I am loosing it..

Regards
Paul
Co Meath.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Paul.

The Meoptas are solid pieces of kit and getting a lot of other odds and sods helps and the El-Nikkor f1/2.8 is a class lens, so could well be a good buy. I guess it depends how much you are paying for it that counts...

In my limited experience, wives always think their husbands are loosing it: it goes with the territory .
Old 14th October 2011, 10:34 PM
Friend

Failte
Old 14th October 2011, 10:37 PM
Friend

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th October 2011, 06:07 AM
Friend

Welcome to the forum and go for the enlarger, you´ll never regret!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 15th October 2011, 07:03 AM
Friend

Hi Paul and welcome to the Forum, I would get the Enlarger, the Meopta range are very well made and will last a lifetime, and the magifax is the best of the range, plus the lens, and a few other bit and pieces, I also collect usable classic cameras, and love using them, everything from old folders to Rolleiflex/cord,and my wilfe thinks I lost it a long time ago, what with classic cameras and my other great love, my classsic car.
Richard
Old 15th October 2011, 07:08 AM
Friend

Agreed, lose it completely. It's only when you've nearly lost it it's a problem.... a hundred thousand welcomes to the forum, get the kit-it's nice kit-and MAKE some images, as opposed to just pushing dodgital buttons. I'm envious of the Canon-mine isn't in good nick.
Old 15th October 2011, 07:43 AM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU "your wife thinks your losing it" that's got to be worth an extra 20% right there

Neil
Old 15th October 2011, 08:51 AM
Friend

Hello Paul and welcome to FADU.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th October 2011, 02:46 PM
Friend

Default Thank you all for your warm welcomes

As we say in Ireland céad míle fáilte..!

Many thanks for your warm welcome to the forum. I note the advice and comments on the Meopta Magnifier and the Nikon lens that is included. I have to make a decision about this by tomorrow to either purchase of let it go. I think I will take the risk and buy, even though its like putting the cart before the horse in my circumstances.

I have taken a long time to decide if darkroom / film is for me, its not all about money either, I have the room to build my own darkroom or else try the changing bag which seems to be a good alternative, but that only solves on one part of the process really, I need the wet side and it makes sense to build my own chill zone.. which when my wife and kids see me hiding in the dark or red-light district will more or less have me committed to the pink slip... in other words they will think that Dad has lost the plot... and he has turned into a complete anorack..! I think the one thing they cant understand is why I parked my Canon 5D MK2, and my 70-200 F/2.8 IS/USM Canon telephoto lens and my 50mm F/1.4 prime and all my other high quality photo gear for a black hole in the basement.. full of chemicals and with a skull and crossbones nailed to the door.. it does indeed make one wonder

The amazing thing is that I have never attempted to develop my own work... its always been sent to the nearest lab. Long way to go I think and the only reason I am considering the enlarger is because I will need one at some stage. I have been offered it with all the additional bits and bobs for less then £100..

I am only starting this project and I guess I will take my time, no hurry in my world for this, it does need patience and I have to adapt slowly to this new / old way of photographic art. I am also chasing a really good deal on a Mamiya BR67 Pro SD medium format manual camera with a cracking lens in practically new condition.. I do like the big 6x7 look of that negative..and that camera is such a cool piece of kit

I look forward to making some contributions to this forum when I get committed to the dungeon below.. watch this space

Paul
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies