Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2012, 06:52 PM
Friend

Default gadgets...... what made me buy this ?

have you ever bought a photography gadget that you thought was a great idea at the time then put them away and never used them.

my three that I admit to are, an adaptor to reverse the lens on my camera for great closeups, never used it

special effects that fit the front of the lens, star shapes, keyhole, triangle, etc never used them

flash slave unit, never used it I only had one flashgun then .

there are others but I cannot remember them at the moment .........

what are yours
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:03 PM
Friend

Cokin special effect filters, Self timer that you attached to the shutter release, There were others, but the worst mistake was the cokin filters, but I was young,
Richard
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:04 PM
Friend

what made you do it? GAS

been there done that. Last one was a set of extension tubes for close ups. I'll get round to using them one day, if I can find them.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
what made you do it? GAS

been there done that. Last one was a set of extension tubes for close ups. I'll get round to using them one day, if I can find them.
I was young and taking slides and they were advertised very heavily, so I spent some of my hard earned cash and bought quite a few, and used them for 1 film, I went back to no cokin, and I recently found a drawfull of the wretched things, but we all live and learn. as far as Gas is concerned, it is only in recent years that I have been affected, since I discovered the joys of Classic cameras, to go with my classic cars
Richard
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I was young and taking slides and they were advertised very heavily, so I spent some of my hard earned cash and bought quite a few, and used them for 1 film, I went back to no cokin, and I recently found a drawfull of the wretched things, but we all live and learn. as far as Gas is concerned, it is only in recent years that I have been affected, since I discovered the joys of Classic cameras, to go with my classic cars
Richard
You wait till you get into boats. You can really call yourself a seasoned GAS expert then. They say a good description of a boat is something that creates a hole in the water into which you throw money and that the two most pleasurable days of owning one are the day you buy one and the day you sell it. Floating caravans used only to navigate between restaurants.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
You wait till you get into boats. You can really call yourself a seasoned GAS expert then. They say a good description of a boat is something that creates a hole in the water into which you throw money and that the two most pleasurable days of owning one are the day you buy one and the day you sell it. Floating caravans used only to navigate between restaurants.
You want to get into Classic cars, you never stop spending on them, I have 2, and there is always something to spend,but that is considered part of of the pleasure, and unlike modern cars I can do most things myself.
Richard
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:48 AM
Friend

Many things many times in the past, some of which have gone gratis to members here.
A bracket for supporting a camera to a car window. Screw in close up supplementary, vignettes horribly.
I have a set of extension tubes never used as well. Bought when I was doing close-up still life. (Found a Micro Nikkor cheap soon after)
Still in packaging, new, Nikon AI, anyone want them for the postage?
Never tried the Cokin system but I've seen an awful lot going second hand which suggests something.
None photographic was jig and circular saw attachments for my electric drill. What a faff they were.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies