Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th March 2009, 01:01 PM
Friend

Question Graded B&W papers.

Despite the advantages of VC papers which are are of very high quality and allow the printer to expose different parts of the print at different filter settings etc, I still enjoy the occasional use of graded papers.
Do you foresee in the not too distant future, graded papers being discontinued altogether?For example, production of Kentmere Kentona has ceased, but it is mentioned by Harman Technology, that three new papers have been proposed for the Kentmere Fineprint VC range of papers.

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 19th March 2009, 01:39 PM
Friend

I can see the main manufacturers of graded papers currently available making the decision to discontinue them simply on economic grounds. Reduced demand will hasten their demise for the accountants will soon notice the fall in profit margin. I know from personal involvement with Ilford/Harmn that the 6men who now own the company are passionate about trafitional black and white photography but they also have a responsibility to their employees as well as themselves and their families so they will have to listen to the number crunchers advice. I know of only a few printers who now use graded paper, probably because most of the great papers have gone so it is inevitable that they will go, and in my opinion sooner than we anticipate.

However, I believe that a small manufacturer, probably in China, will try to fill the gap.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***