Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st October 2019, 07:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
I kno0w it is a personal thing but I am running low on film, now that I have come back I have all but used up my HP4, and will need to re buy, and 125 asa.

Can anyone tell me, from experience how Fomapan 100/400 asa film compares to the Ilford I have been using as I now have Ilford developer.

Thanks

e.g

https://www.jackthehat.co.uk/fomapan...ll-p-1436.html

Hi Cannik,
I have used Fomapan 400 and 200 as my main films for over 20years, they are the only films I ever use and I love them, mainly 400, which these days I rate at 329 and develop in RO9/one shot (Rodinal) at 1/50 for between 15 and 118 minutes depending on the light/subject, they have a look all of there own, the 400 reminds of original triX, before Kodak mucked about with it and started removing some of the silver content, Tri Xas it was in the fifties, never had any QC issues, but needs careful handling when wet as the emulsion tends to be soft, if you want a reminder of what negatives and prints looked like when you started 40 years ago then give Fomapan 400 a chance, It will develop in ID11 stock for 7 to 6 minutes, I have not tried it in anything else, I prefer the Rodinal/fomapan combination,as long as I can get Fomapan I will use it, If you can manage a slow film then they 100 is a realy lovely film, unique,
Richard
Old 21st October 2019, 07:38 PM
Friend

Hi Cannick,

I use Foma 100 in 35mm and 120, it's pretty much all I shoot (it's a cost thing)

I shoot at box speed and have until recently develop as per Foma's recommendations.

The results were OK as far as I am concerned, but I am no expert.

Although I think the only Ilford developer they suggest is ID-11, the one Richard uses.

Here's some that I printed a while ago

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=518

and if I've got it right here's some that I think I had printed by AG photo

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=563

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 21st October 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi Cannik,

I have used Fomapan 400 and 200 as my main films for over 20years, they are the only films I ever use and I love them, mainly 400, which these days I rate at 329 and develop in RO9/one shot (Rodinal) at 1/50 for between 15 and 118 minutes depending on the light/subject, they have a look all of there own, the 400 reminds of original triX, before Kodak mucked about with it and started removing some of the silver content, Tri Xas it was in the fifties, never had any QC issues, but needs careful handling when wet as the emulsion tends to be soft, if you want a reminder of what negatives and prints looked like when you started 40 years ago then give Fomapan 400 a chance, It will develop in ID11 stock for 7 to 6 minutes, I have not tried it in anything else, I prefer the Rodinal/fomapan combination,as long as I can get Fomapan I will use it, If you can manage a slow film then they 100 is a realy lovely film, unique,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Do you have any examples of Foma 400 rated at 329 ISO and developed for 118 minutes that you can show us? Sorry, your typos had me chuckling for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hi Richard,

Do you have any examples of Foma 400 rated at 329 ISO and developed for 118 minutes that you can show us? Sorry, your typos had me chuckling for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all make them, and it was after a very busy weekend including helping to stir a bachin of black butter over an open fire for 36 hours
should have said 320 for 15 to 18 minutes depending on light and subject
Richard
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:26 AM
Friend

Default Film/paper/developer

For preference every time I would go with Ilford. I have used Forma and there is nothing wrong with it except I seem to get a lot of small scratches or call them 'nicks' in the emulsion. It seems to be a lot softer than either Ilford or Kodak.#

If costs are a concern, can I suggest you look at the price of film/paper/chemicals - all the usual Ilford ones sold by MORCO based in Nottinghamshire they can be quite a bit cheaper than AG. Just google Morco.co.uk to get their website up. For example AG ask for £5.19 for a 36 exp Ilford FP4+ the Morco price is £5.00. 19 pence isn't much but if you buy 10 it is close on £2. saved. There are similar savings for Ilford Paper and chemicals.

Don't get me wrong, I like AG, they are a very good company to deal with, but I go to MORCO because of the prices. Postage is about the same.

Last edited by John King; 22nd October 2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Cannik,
Richard
Quote:
We all make them, and it was after a very busy weekend including helping to stir a bachin of black butter over an open fire for 36 hours
should have said 320 for 15 to 18 minutes depending on light and subject
Richard
It made I smile Took me a few minutes before I realised 329 was really 320 - as you say Richard we all make them, yours came at the perfect time after a long day though for me - I was even pondering how to meter for 329! Doh!

But, back on topic, I too have found 320 a good speed for Fomapan 400 although I’m in the early stages of playing with this film stock and have been developing at the timings recommended for the film rated at 400. I shall try your 320/Rodinal approach with the next roll.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
For preference every time I would go with Ilford. I have used Forma and there is nothing wrong with it except I seem to get a lot of small scratches or call them 'nicks' in the emulsion. It seems to be a lot softer than either Ilford or Kodak.#

If costs are a concern, can I suggest you look at the price of film/paper/chemicals - all the usual Ilford ones sold by MORCO based in Nottinghamshire they can be quite a bit cheaper than AG. Just google Morco.co.uk to get their website up. For example AG ask for £5.19 for a 36 exp Ilford FP4+ the Morco price is £5.00. 19 pence isn't much but if you buy 10 it is close on £2. saved. There are similar savings for Ilford Paper and chemicals.

Don't get me wrong, I like AG, they are a very good company to deal with, but I go to MORCO because of the prices. Postage is about the same.

Yes Foma films are slightly softer emulsions but nowhere near as soft as the old EFKE/Adox films and even those were nowhere near as bad as their 70;s/80's films.

I've not had scratching with Foma films, they need careful handling like all films.

Price wise I'm buying Foma films at half the cost of Ilford, so keep some in stock as a back up and use it for less critical work although that may change. I haven't used Ilford films for formats larger than 5x4, preferring EFKE PL25 and Fortepan 200, as my stock drops I'll switch to Fomapan.

The cost differential between shooting Ilford Delta 100 10x8 at £160 for 25 sheets and Fomapan 200 at £97 for 50 sheets is a no brainer. £1.94 a sheet for Foma and £6.40 for Ilford.

So one good reason for shooting Fomapan 35mm and 120 is to hone it's use/processing and then save very significantly when shooting 7x5 and 10x8.

Ian
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Just google Morco.co.uk to get their website up.
I tried that web address and it came up with a very strange site!

So I googled and found the correct one to try out:

https://www.morco.uk.com/

Terry S
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:12 PM
Banned

The more I read the more it will be Ilford

Old 22nd October 2019, 02:08 PM
Friend

Default Ooooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I tried that web address and it came up with a very strange site!

So I googled and found the correct one to try out:

https://www.morco.uk.com/

Terry S
Sorry you are spot on I just typed it in auto pilot without thinking. I have it on a desktop shortcut so I don't have to type it regularly.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies