Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2019, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I leave it set on 5.6 ,its a lot darker than my 300mm 2.8 ,but a lot brighter than a mirror lens at F8 ,if you look at the photos of the horses you can see how sharp it is ,when I am a bit better I will go to the bird sanctuary on the way to Canvey island ,if I can to give it a go.
For goodness sake do not walk across Westminster Bridge with it fully assembled

On a more serious note, nowadays any shots with it in big cities will draw attention and at best take a bit of time to explain to those authorised to ask questions and at worse might get the kind of attention from those who are not trained and want to act first and ask questions later.

It has come to something when such caution is needed but nowadays in certain places I fear that is the case.

We often get light aircraft flying low over the hill that the BBC used to transmit from near me and one of the masts remains so a shot of an aircraft passing the mast with a "big bertha" would be great but I wonder how long I'd be able to point at aircraft with it before I'd be explaining to the "law" what I was doing. To both onlookers and pilots it might look as if I was practising for a different kind of shot that the one we usually discuss here on Photrio

Best of luck with your bird shots at Canvey

Mike
Old 28th October 2019, 08:16 PM
Friend

you know what they say who dares wins ,a lot of people use them for wild life photography ,but they were made for sports photography and racing ,and anything that moved ,and if you get the hang of them they are very accurate and fast to focus ,but autofocus put a end to them
Old 28th October 2019, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
Nice butt

Negatives................................ SCANNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................... .. does this constitute a president ?

Neg scans are allowed for illustrative purposes. No foul.
Old 28th October 2019, 10:37 PM
Friend

Default Novoflex

These used to be very common in the 60's and 70's with press photographers but I have not seen one used for years now. To be honest I don't think I even know the principal how they work, but your description has lifted the veil slightly.
Old 29th October 2019, 12:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
These used to be very common in the 60's and 70's with press photographers but I have not seen one used for years now. To be honest I don't think I even know the principal how they work, but your description has lifted the veil slightly.
Yes I did a bit of research and long focus lenses inevitably take you to the famous photo-sniper. Now at a distance this thing does really look like a gun and it is so long since people have seen these - probably more than one generation ago - that it would really worry people

Mike
Old 29th October 2019, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Neg scans are allowed for illustrative purposes. No foul.
I know
Old 30th October 2019, 03:39 PM
Friend

"Big Bertha" reminded me of this article I recently came across - 5x7 at 1000mm and 120 lb. We've come a long way since then.

https://petapixel.com/2016/03/22/gra...-spotted-wild/

Regards
Dave

As an aside, That's a pretty impressive collection of vintage lenses in the background.

Last edited by Dave Hodson; 30th October 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 30th October 2019, 04:38 PM
Friend

ooh err missus that's a big one ( frankie howard )...today I have set up a bird feeder in my garden and just inside my back door I put some netting up ,and put the big boy on a tripod just inside the door sat down then waited .first I tried 600mm then I put a doubler giving me 1200mm ,I have a big problem I live next to fields no trees just grass ,not many birds so most of the day I took 11 shot of probably the same bird ,and the thing was very tiny ,so I will try tomorrow and hope the word got out that there's free food in my garden .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 30th October 2019, 04:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
,so I will try tomorrow and hope the word got out that there's free food in my garden .

www.essexcockney.com
Don't worry Paul it will. The wife feeds the birds everyday and it is like Heathrow with more rapid landings and take-offs

Everything from Magpies ( good for b&w), crows, jackdaws, collared doves to the small tits. In fact thinking about it most of the U.K. winter birds with the exception of the tits that have a bit of colour are ideal for b&w

Mike
Old 30th October 2019, 08:59 PM
Friend

mike I looked out of my window before and about four bats flew by ,I may have more luck photographing them before they go in to hibernation. my daughter in law set up the bird feeding station ,and my wife set up the camera lens and tripod ,so all I did was lock the focus on and wait ,I did get fed up after a while ,but I was in the warm in doors with just the end of the lens pocking out doors .even when I am in a lot of pain, arthritis ,I can still manage to take some photos ,but as the weather gets cold and damp, as I suffer from joint problems ,it gets worse so I may follow the bats and hibernate ..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies