Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2022, 11:00 PM
Friend

Default Ikoflex issue

Hi
I am just running my first test roll through my 1946 Ikoflex I TLR. Most ikoflex's have a wheel that you set when you load the film. This prevents double exposures. On the series 1 LPS model it is a spindle in a housing. I presume, looking at other Zeiss cameras, it is supposed to switch to white when the shot is fired, locking the shutter. then as the film is advanced the spindle turns until it reaches the point at which the shutter is released. This is indicated by the visible area of the spindle showing red. On mine this doesn't work. The upshot is I have to wind it on until the number of the next frame shows in the red window. Is this an easy fix? A bit of lube etc. Or is it something best left alone?

Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 03:23 PM
Friend

Default Ikoflex

These cameras although very well made had several 'querks' all of their own. They could almost certainly be sorted out with a camera repairer who has the knowledge of how they work and what to do if they are not.

They also changed over the years they were made and to be honest I had never heard of having to move a wheel. I had a much later one perhaps from the late 50's and I cannot remember having to adjust a wheel to prevent double exposure.
Old 19th February 2022, 01:47 AM
Friend

Hi Pete,

Do you have the manual for this camera? If not, take a look here:

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_...on_ikoflex.htm

Hopefully there’s some useful info there
Old 19th February 2022, 08:48 AM
Friend

My Ikoflex was the 1st one shown with the exposure meter. There is shown a small button to be used to reset the exposure counter 'If the film counter has to be reset if it is removed before the end of the film'.

I never had to do this because I always finished off a film. so that may be why I never had to reset the counter. If I had, a similar problem I think without a guide like this I would not have known any better.

In the Model 1 there is a reset on the right hand side of the camera body Is this the one on your camera that does not seem to work. If so I think it would require the attention of a mechanic to have a look at it. You may be able to dismantle the camera but putting it back may be a different matter. It may be just a build up of old crud, compounded with lubrication that has dried out; or possibly a 'lug' having broken off.

If you decide to send it away to be looked at professionally, there is one engineer that I have used recently and is based in Milton Keynes. He is good and turn around is/was quick at around 7-10 days. He takes payment over the phone from a card. Address 9 Wharfside, Fenny Stratford, Bletchley, Milton Keynes MK2 2AZ Phone: 01908 378088.
('As an add on' He is a leading repairer if Minolta equipment and when Minolta shut up shop he bought up all the remaining spares from them. If he hasn't got what is need then it isn't available. He did a superb job on my Minolta XM and then cleaning up my Rodenstock APO 50mm enlarging lens after it fell into a bucket of water {don't ask}

There is another who has a very good reputation but his full name escapes me. It is something like Ed Trodska and he works from somewhere near Leicestershire. I am fairly sure that if his name is seen someone on the forum will be able to give the full details. He only works on analogue equipment so probably the 'go to'. guy for your job.

Last edited by John King; 19th February 2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 19th February 2022, 09:18 AM
Friend

Default Update on the previous post

I have found the name of the repairer it was similar to the one I thought it was. He is Ed Trzoska in Leicester. address is:-

150 Harrowgate Dr, Birstall, Leicester LE4 3GP
Hours:Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Mon
Phone: 0116 267 4247
E Mail ed@europhotoservices.co.uk

He is a one man band apparently has a workshop at home. The website is quire small but has all you need to know.
He has a logo suggesting he has spares for Zeiss Ikon and also services them>

Last edited by John King; 19th February 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 19th February 2022, 12:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
E Mail ed@europhotoservices.co.uk

I've seen him mentioned / recommended before, as I recognise the cartoon on the website.

But just to correct you slightly John, but the website address is more like the email address, in being:

http://europhotoservices.co.uk/

Terry S
Old 19th February 2022, 01:15 PM
Friend

Terry all I googled was Euro Photographic services and the website popped up.
Old 19th February 2022, 01:37 PM
Friend

Utterly brilliant. Thanks guys I could get to the mechanism quite easily. Three scrws and the top comes off. Two more and out comes the mirror. The mechanism is accessible from there. I have heard of people flushing things with alcohol but that seems really drastic. I have a small amount of high grade watch oil left, or, I could just leave it and go low tech and just use the red window (which is covered with a flap). The first roll through it came out really nice but I think I under developed it (I am new to this). There were also some scratches but I can't see anything on the camera itself. All in all, for a 1946 camera, it is really good and worth investing in. Now, time to look at those links
Old 19th February 2022, 03:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Hi Pete,

Do you have the manual for this camera? If not, take a look here:

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_...on_ikoflex.htm

Hopefully there’s some useful info there
I downloaded this but it is just operating instructions
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies