Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2010, 04:45 PM
Friend

Default Death of Harry Fearn - When and Causes?

One of the first books I ever bought, as opposed to read, on B&W photography was the "Better in Black and White" by a man called Harry Fearn.

He wasn't a prolific writer and the above book was his main work. However I understand that he was both a local college lecturer and ran private courses under the title of Creative Image Workshops. He lived around Porthmadog in N Wales.

The book was a Creative Monochrome publication in 2000 which I think that some here know about.

Anyway that sets the scene for those here who have any knowledge of him.

I have just seen a comment on his book which begins: Sadly Harry is no longer with us"...

So anybody one know anything about his death?

It is funny but re-reading anybody's work and then finding out that the person is dead somehow comes as a shock and spurs me on to find out about the circumstances? It makes it feel as it was quite sudden and recent although of course it could have been as long as maybe 8 years ago

Thanks

Mike
Old 29th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Friend

I never knew of him until I went to Porthmadog to buy one of his enlargers - a Durst DA900 - a couple of years ago when his darkroom was being dismantled. I'm not sure when he died though. He seems to have been well regarded.
I picked up a copy of his book a few months ago.
Old 29th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Friend

I believe Harry died of a heart attack about 8 to 10 years ago. I only met him twice, both times when he attended one of my workshops, he was a very helpful happy man and good fun to be with.
Old 29th April 2010, 06:32 PM
Friend

Thanks for that, Les. His picture in his book, dated 2000 and which was presumably taken around the publication date suggests a man in his fifties then so no youngster but hardly old either.

Mike
Old 29th April 2010, 08:34 PM
Friend

I hope that Keith Tapscott will see this thread, as elsewhere in the Forum he refers to visiting Snowdonia with Mr Fearn.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:48 PM
Friend

Thanks Michael I too hope he sees this and can tells us a bit more about Harry. Once you've read someone's book you always want to know more about the person behind the publication.

He was very clearly a serious "zonie" despite, from what I can glean of his equipment, a MF roll film user and not a sheet film LFer. The only camera quoted in all the shots in the books is a Bronica

I have clearly missed seeing Keith's reference to Harry.

Mike
Old 30th April 2010, 07:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Michael I too hope he sees this and can tells us a bit more about Harry. Once you've read someone's book you always want to know more about the person behind the publication.

He was very clearly a serious "zonie" despite, from what I can glean of his equipment, a MF roll film user and not a sheet film LFer. The only camera quoted in all the shots in the books is a Bronica

I have clearly missed seeing Keith's reference to Harry.

Mike

Mike,

You could send Keith a PM and ask him. I am sure he will respond with some interesting 'Harry' snippets

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th April 2010, 10:40 AM
Friend

I once went to a presentation given by the late Barry Thornton, at North West Monochrome. Barry spent all day explaining the ins and outs of the Zone System, including all the testing etc. that needed to be done to make it work. When it was all over the Chairman made the announcement that next month's lecture would be given by Harry Fearn, and its title was "Learn The Zone System in Half an Hour". This raised a big laugh - including one from Barry Thornton, who really saw the funny side of it.

I went to Harry's lecture the following month. No nonsense, down to earth, very practical advice and some lovely photographs.

Alan
Old 30th April 2010, 05:20 PM
Friend

I did a workshop with Harry in April 2000 and I concur with Les that he was helpful and good fun to be out photographing with.
He had already had a major heart attack and liked to use a Mamiya 7 with a lightweight tripod due to his heart condition.

I have alerted someone who was a good friend of Harry and fellow photographer to respond to this thread.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:25 PM
Friend

Thanks Keith. It becomes clearer now about the circumstances and yet no less tragic. It would seem that he had completed the book in spite of his heart problem which says a lot about his love of his hobby and need to spread the word to others on the joys of trad B&W photography.

Intriguingly, I noted a few months ago that someone was selling a secondhand copy of his book and I was amazed at what it fetched.

There is usually special reasons why this should be. Maybe the original publication run was small and there is a scarcity value to it, although I only paid what I'd regard as a reasonable market price for my copy some 7 years ago.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies