Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2011, 07:05 PM
Friend

Default Contrast filtration query

I have a LPL c7700 enlarger and need some help getting the correct grade contrast. Lpl use the kodak filtration and according to Ilford will not give me grade 5 on multigrade paper. Lpl have duel filtration (yellow/magenta) so in theory I should not need to change exposure times when changing grades but i have been told that this is not the case as a small change is needed. Should I use a new set of under lens mg filters or stay with the colour head filtration and stick to grade 4 as my maximum grade. Why is it that when I think I have got things sorted something else comes along to mix things up. Please help.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:14 PM
Friend

I would suggest you try and adjust your camera exposure and negative development so that you require minimal filtration, if any.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:55 PM
Friend

I totally agree with clive.

And in my experience, most of the time if a print needs grade 5 your really trying to salvage something. And you know what they say;
"Sh*t in, sh*t out"!

In all reality, you'll probably never need it and never use it. And the maximum filteration on your enlarger will be more than enough.

If it makes you feel any better, just about everything I've ever printed at grade 5 gets binned!

And finally, I don't believe split-grade printing will be a problem either. Just get clicking and printing and don't let this notion get in the way.

Enjoy!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th March 2011, 11:00 PM
Friend

G'day Mark

I totally agree with the above.

When I first started monochrome work, in 1987, I read somewhere that grade 2 should be the norm to always aim for and that printing at grade 2 is more or less what film is designed for.

I've also found that if grade 2 is my norm I have some creative leeway in that I could go softer or harder if a particular image required the shift.

As Marty points out printing at grade 5 is a poor attempt at salvage but I'd add it could be a creative choice but one seldom made.
Old 12th March 2011, 09:22 AM
Friend

Stick with the LPL filters, you have infinitely variable contrast between the limits of max Y and max M. Max M (170) will give you about grade 4.5 on Ilford papers. I have a C7700 and rarely if ever find the maximum contrast is lacking.

You will usually need to adjust exposure with a contrast change - this is true for Ilford filters as well, "consistent exposure" only applies to the paper speed point which is equivalent to a light grey.

Choose your exposure time based on the highlights, then if the shadows are too pale increase the grade setting, or if they are blocked up reduce the grade setting.

Other posters are right though - you should aim to get negatives which print well at the middle grades so you have room to increase or decrease print contrast according to personal taste.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 12th March 2011, 01:32 PM
Friend

Another good reason for getting negs that print well at grade 2 or 3 is that you can make subtle alterations to the print with ease. Using grade 4 and above a small change in exposure or clumsy burning in really shows up, it's like a hair trigger effect. Working at lower grades is much more relaxing and I've found a contrasty neg preferable to a soft one for just this reason.

A final thought, there are more ways of softening contrast than increasing it, if you need more than grade 5 you'll be resorting to selenium intensification of the neg or lith printing.

Steve
Old 13th March 2011, 06:43 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the pointers. I was printing last night and I had a good session, most of what I printed turned out OK. I will be putting then in my gallery so any comments will be welcome.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies