Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th November 2020, 05:06 PM
Friend

Default kodak B&W film double price of Ilford

Just checked the best price I could find for Kodak Tri X 400 (£11) against Ilford HP5+ 400 (£4.80) for 1 roll of 120 film.
I will not be buying any more Kodak film, has Kodak's prices become prohibitive for you?
Old 25th November 2020, 05:13 PM
Friend

I used Tri-X quite a bit when it was the same price as Ilford HP5+. It was often all I could buy when I was in mainland Europe. I think Kodak are trading on it's 'legendary' reputation and the fact that it was used by many 'great' press photographers in the past. It's certainly a superb film but I'm not sure it's twice as good as Ilford's offering and I won't be paying £11 a roll any time soon! OTOH if Kodak have captured the market of the new, young(ish) trendy film photographers and can sell it good luck to them - it all helps keep film alive. (as long as Ilford, Foma etc don't hike their prices to match!)
Old 25th November 2020, 05:33 PM
Friend

Only £6,20 here.

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-k...-pack-of-5.htm

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th November 2020, 05:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Thats a great price, but I am now fully committed to supporting Ilford.
Old 25th November 2020, 06:13 PM
Friend

It was 2018 or early 2019 when I pointed out that the bulk TriX was well over £100 per 30m cannister at least 80% more than HP5+ What exactly are they playing at?

If they were to lower their prices the will probably find more people would by their products. I would jump at the chance to get a reasonably priced roll of T Max 100 35mm from them. I like Ilford film and that is all I use but Tmax 100 is in my experience better than Delta 100.
Old 25th November 2020, 08:04 PM
Friend

It would look as if the Tri-X price at Bristol Cameras is the exception that proves the rule in that none of the rest of its films seem particularly more keenly priced that the average retail stockist

With films as many of here have said before there seems no rhyme or reason to the pricing of films by retailers to consumers.

It's a question of letting your fingers on the keyboard do the internet walking but even then as we have also said the problem is that p&p from each separate stockist adds up and largely negates any savings

I'd be sorry to see Kodak collapse but if the only way it can survive is by the U.K. retailers charging what they do for Kodak films then I am not prepared to pay that price for its survival.

The U.S. members on the likes of Photrio wonder why we "Limeys" complain until you point out the difference in prices between Kodak films in the U.S. and Kodak films in the U.K. They then tend to just go quiet as frankly they cannot give an answer.

The real answer I fear is that Kodak Alaris sets a charge on retailers that helps set a charge that retailers charge us because it can and its KA policy

We are a tiny market v the U.S. and relatively insignificant.

In summary at the current price differential you have to believe that Kodak films are significantly better to be prepared to pay the difference on a regular basis. I do not have such a belief

Just as a point of info as I understand the relationship between Kodak and Kodak Alaris it is in fact K. A. that is responsible and not Kodak. Kodak is contracted to sell consumer still camera film to KA who determine price via a distributor who presumably takes a cut before it goes to the retailer who then decides what to charge we consumers

Mike
Old 25th November 2020, 09:19 PM
Friend

Process supplies have tri x 120 for £9.67, and Imaging Supplies don't seem to list it, and Firstcall list in a pack of 5 for £43.99, I used to love tri x and used it a lot until it just seemed to go up and up in price, to silly levels at least over here, and I believe Kodak films are increasing in price by 21% next year, it would be sad to see Kodak film going away, but it seems that Kodak is using film as a cash cow,
Richard
Old 25th November 2020, 09:40 PM
Friend

I can't talk to the 120 Kodak prices, but their 5x4 sheet film is nearly twice the price of comparable Ilford film.....which is itself twice the price of Foma film.

I used to use a lot of TMax 100, but when the price went through the roof, i switched to FP4 for both 5x4 and 120.

Mike
Old 25th November 2020, 10:02 PM
Friend

Unless Kodak is made in the UK surely the devaluation of the British pound against the dollar is an important consideration. Since March 2016 to March 2020 £1 has bought 23% less value of US goods. In other words a 23% price increase for US goods over 5 years. The difference in price between HP5 & Tri X at AG has Tri X 26% more expensive which mirrors the devaluation. On the other hand Ilford products in the US are 23% cheaper than their price 5 years ago -- which might help explain why Ilford is mentioned much more in US forums than hitherto. Of course, if Kodak (ages since I bought Kodak) is made in the UK then we are being ripped off!!
Old 26th November 2020, 07:44 AM
Friend

If Kodak are selling all the Tri-X they can make at the higher price then they have no motivation to make it cheaper. Reducing price might stimulate demand, but if they are manufacturing to full capacity then it's demand they couldn't meet and hence no benefit.
If, on the other hand, Tri-X is piling up in warehouses unsold Kodak would be forced to either reduce the price, or cease production. Knowing Kodak, they're probably just as happy to discontinue another product. I did read that motion picture film was a big part of their profitability in terms of film manufacture, so perhaps they're keen to get rid of all black and white materials?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies