Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th January 2012, 08:37 PM
Friend

Default Rolleicord Flash

I am looking for advice about which flash to use with my Rolleicord Vb. I would like something on a bracket to the side of the camera. I have been using a small Boots flash on a folding bracket. It works, but is not very solid feeling. I also find that the sync plug is a loose fit in the Rollei socket. I have been looking at the Metz 45 series flash units and they look quite good. Does anyone know if they work well with this camera? I want to acheive a combination that I can use at parties, etc that wont fall apart when I sit it down.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:29 PM
Friend

I use a Hanimex 550 flash with my Rolleicord.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/SHandimages1/42492.JPG

It seems to be the perfect size for a Rolleicord. I think the Metz is a bit too big.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 18th January 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:33 AM
Friend

I use a vivatar 283 flash on a bracket on both my Rolleicord and Rolleiflex on a flash bar,it is the perfect size for the job and quite a powerful beast,
Richard
Old 19th January 2012, 10:30 PM
Friend

Thanks for your suggestions. There seem to be plenty of used flashguns on the market at reasonable prices. I am going to look out for both these models to see if I can pick up a decent one.
Old 20th January 2012, 08:06 AM
Friend

The Vivitar 283 (and the even better 285) is more versatile as it has a larger range of power settings and auto settings. The Hanimex has only two auto settings and full power manual. I have never found it limiting to me though.

Steve.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:01 AM
Friend

I use a Metz hammerhead. Its works very well with my Rolleiflexes.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:15 AM
Friend

Search around dealers and try to find a TLR flash bracket, these have a square base. I've a couple, a Velbon and a Yashica. The Yashica is a casting and strong enough for my Bronica, the Velbon formed sheet metal and a bit bendy but OK for a lightweigt TLR. I know Sunpak did one too.
Flash photography with the TLRs sportsfinder is good fun. I did a lot of live music in pubs this way some year back.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies