Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th July 2012, 12:16 AM
Friend

Default De Vere 504 working height.

Looking through the darkroom build gallery I don't notice any set height differences between the enlargers and surrounding work surfaces, so I'm asking as someone who's had multiple spinal ops if there's a preferred height/approach that could help me with the design before construction.
Old 24th July 2012, 06:25 AM
Friend

Gavin, think about working the enlarger sat on a stool. I just relocated my 203 and lowered the working height from my previous darkroom so I could comfortably sit while I work, this also bought the dials of the dichro head down to eye level. Ceiling height could be an issue for you as the 504 is larger and taller than the 203. Good luck.
David

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 24th July 2012, 07:09 AM
Friend

It’s an important point and is generally a compromise between baseboard height and available ceiling height. Like David I sit on a stool when printing.
Old 24th July 2012, 07:43 AM
Friend

Gavin, I'm rather fortunate, my darkroom ceiling is fairly high as the DeVere with a 500 MG head needs about 57" from feet to head fully raised. My enlarger work top bench is 33.5" high, this puts the easel at approx. 39" as I've always preferred to stand when printing, however I suspect the aging process may well force me onto a stool
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 25th July 2012, 09:03 PM
Friend

Thank you. I've deliberated over this for some time and hence a late reply, and I think the ability to both stand and sit will be best.
I'm far from disabled and you wouldn't guess that I have regular spinal work, however I also forget myself and at times can find it can catch me out. This was my main concern with enlarger height but seeing that standing and sitting are equally the norm I'll go with a high work top for standing and using a high adjustable stool for sitting.

The ceiling height is 2.7M or 9ft so there's plenty of height for the enlarger. Going by your measurements Trevor it looks like 35" + enlarger base and easel would be a good height for me, easel and enlarger base height something I hadn't considered! Thank you.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies