Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th June 2016, 09:02 PM
Friend

Rob, I have been experimenting with Pan F and noticed that it doesn't do too well in bright contrasty light. So I am pleased to hear you saying the same. But it works really well in flattish light, as you obviously know.

Alan
Old 8th June 2016, 09:16 AM
Friend

Alan and Rob - I think BT in one of his books stated that his 2-bath was merely a variation on Stoecklers with an eye towards being more t-grain friendly . . at least I think that is what he said. Long time since I've read them. It did give me nice results with TMX . . . when I got my exposure right!

I've never made a 'normal' Stoecklers, but feel I should definitely give it a go.

Pan F has always liked overcast conditions and tripods for me, but when it is forgiving it is wonderful.
Old 8th June 2016, 02:29 PM
Friend

Phil -- that comment about sombre tones was a bit off the cuff. Just my overall impressions of what I see out there on Flickr, blogs, etc., and an expression of personal taste. It seems to me that in the right hands, Pyrocat can produce very fine images indeed. Perhaps it's the users who are intentionally creating these moody, dark tones with their scanning and curve adjustments. But maybe it's the nature of the developer and the way it renders mid tones. Like I said, it seems to push the mid-tones down the scale quite a bit. Looks great in the right light, but in flat light it looks a bit, well, altogether too dark Seems to work great for certain subjects, but perhaps not all. Just an observation.... Another tool in the cabinet to use, which is all for the better.

Re. Thornton's two bath, he mentions contrast control in his Edge book by reducing or increasing the concentration of Sodium Metaborate in Bath B for high or low contrast scenes. Have you all tried this? Unless I missed something, it seems like you've been controlling contrast only via different times in Bath A, and varying the agitation routine.

Rob -- great tip on two-bath with PanF. Great film. I will definitely try that brew with it.

Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies