Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th December 2023, 09:44 AM
Friend

For a couple of years after joining I had the same problem.
It has only started working correctly for me recently.
I do lose the facility though after doing a big clean up using a full scan, cookie removal and tracker removal, all followed by a disk clean up. Then I have to sign in again for everything like ebay and forums.

Could it be your computer is frequently performing a quick scan in the background that you are unaware of, and removing cookies and trackers relative to FADU ?
Old 5th December 2023, 10:39 AM
Friend

In my case, there definitely is a cookie from FADU on my computer. At login on most websites, username and password are autofilled by the OS from its keychain. FADU is the one and only site where this doesn't happen. I can manually open the keychain and use the values stored there to log in, but autofill doesn't happen. In fact, if I log in while still in a thread, I cannot immediately post a reply. I need to initiate the Post Reply dialogue, then log in, then type my reply. When I go back to the thread I find myself logged out again.

I'm not savvy enough to know what the dialogue is (or should be) between website and client, so I'm a bit stuck. I'll try deleting the existing cookie as a first option.

BTW, Safari identifies the FADU site as 'Not Secure'. What are the implications of that?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk

Last edited by snusmumriken; 5th December 2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 5th December 2023, 11:55 AM
Friend

It could help if you clear all the cookies out of your system. The easiest way is to delete your browsing history but that may mean you will have to log in to any of the apps connected to E Mail or sites like this one.

Sometimes on the pages of sites you are looking at regularly they have a facility to delete them from there.
Old 5th December 2023, 12:48 PM
Friend

I normally access the site from an iPhone. If you are using the latest software, it won’t let you automatically connect with stored details to a site it identifies as ‘not secure’. Unfortunately, that seems to cover FADU. I’m not a computer expert, I just know this from experience. I tend to access the site on my phone through an app called Tapatalk. That allows me to send and receive PMs and to start new threads or post replies. It doesn’t allow access to the Galleries or Albums. To look at these I use the Safari browser on my phone, but it refuses to ‘remember’ me, so I have to sign in if I want to interact with these areas.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th December 2023, 07:51 PM
Friend

The answer to it being "not secure" appears to be connected to the fact it does not have https status

This fact is connected to money and resources needed to operate the site It's a snag of it being "free"

However there isn't a need for it to be secure in the internet sense of the word as there is no need use it to make financial transactions or exchange such data that makes us liable to third party snooping

I expect it does mean that revealing any confidential details via PMs on buy/sell matters might be unwise

Mike
Old 5th December 2023, 09:03 PM
Friend

As Alex said, the latest update of Safari (17.1.2) seems to prevent FADU from remembering user details, presumably because of the ’Not Secure’ issue. I tried deleting the FADU cookie, then disabling every smart aspect of Safari and AdBlocker that I could find, but none of those actions had any effect. However, using the DuckDuckGo browser allows FADU to remember me between visits as intended.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 6th December 2023, 08:12 AM
Administrator

The "remember me" forgetting you is usually a cookie issue so, as you found, deleting all film-and-darkroom cookies generally fixes it as it forces a new cookie to be created.

While you can let auto-fill complete your login (assuming your browser allows it) there is a risk that if you do not move to a new page for a while, such as when entering a long comment that takes a while to compose, the forum software may log you out automatically as it sees no activity from you while you are typing and you lose what you spent all that time writing! Which can be *really* annoying...
Old 6th December 2023, 08:16 AM
Friend

It's been happening to me using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Doesn't happen with any other site on Chrome but does on one I access via Microsoft Edge. As this started at the same time for both sites I thought it was something I'd done whilst doing a regular cookie cleanout.
Old 7th December 2023, 12:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
While you can let auto-fill complete your login (assuming your browser allows it) there is a risk that if you do not move to a new page for a while, such as when entering a long comment that takes a while to compose, the forum software may log you out automatically as it sees no activity from you while you are typing and you lose what you spent all that time writing! Which can be *really* annoying...
Annoying??? VERY!!!!

It has happened to me a number of times in the past, so even though it's never happened to me whilst now browsing via DuckDuckGo, I still copy (CTRL + C) the text on anything but the one liner reply, so that I can just re-paste it easily (CTRL+V).

As someone who can use a computer just fine, but doesn't understand how it all works, cookies and all, it was interesting to read a simple (for people like me) reply.

Terry S
Old 7th December 2023, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
As Alex said, the latest update of Safari (17.1.2) seems to prevent FADU from remembering user details, presumably because of the ’Not Secure’ issue. I tried deleting the FADU cookie, then disabling every smart aspect of Safari and AdBlocker that I could find, but none of those actions had any effect. However, using the DuckDuckGo browser allows FADU to remember me between visits as intended.
It is remembering me here using Safari (17.1.2)?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies