Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2019, 08:25 AM
Friend

Default Minolta Autocord

I bought an early Minolta Aurocord at the end of December but have only just got around to putting the 1st fim through it. FP4+ developed in ID11has given me a set of very nice negatives. It came with the original case which was as good as the camera and with the original receipt. The exposure was metered with a Minolta Autometer 111 and alll were very evenly exposed, although a little over developed.

This I think is my 3rd Autocord and the best. It reached me in truly mint condition, even complete with the lens cap! The lens is clean and clear of any defect and this is proved by how sharp the negs were.

The first 2-3 exposures were slightly blurred due to camera shake, due mostly to me being over enthusiastic when releasing the shutter. I had forgotten how light the shutter release was and pressed harder than I needed too.

My 2nd film is ready to go and when I get something worth uploading watch this space. (If anyone has an original strap - the clip on type, I would be very interested. The condition of the leather isn't important so long as the two end clips are undamaged and working)

Last edited by John King; 28th January 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 28th January 2019, 01:57 PM
Friend

Hi John,

Terrific cameras, those Autocords are. I have an LMX model and love it. Wonderful lens.

As for your strap, I'm assuming your camera has the post lugs? If so, and you can't find an original strap (might be darn hard to get), you might check this out: https://optechusa.com/super-pro-strap.html

It's available with two sizes of clips, so perhaps one will fit the Autocord? Good luck! And enjoy the new camera.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:19 PM
Friend

Default Strap

The ones on the Optec link will not fit. As far as I know the clips on the end were very similar in design (Scissors type) fitted to some Rollieflex models.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:41 PM
Friend

Ah, I see. I didn't realize the Autocords had the same design (scissors clips) as Rolleiflex. I thought they only had a slot type (for a band) or the post lugs. Will a Rolleiflex strap fit? That will be pricey, but are available new.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_strap.html

Last edited by Svend; 28th January 2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:02 AM
Friend

Default Autocord strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Ah, I see. I didn't realize the Autocords had the same design (scissors clips) as Rolleiflex. I thought they only had a slot type (for a band) or the post lugs. Will a Rolleiflex strap fit? That will be pricey, but are available new.
]
No the Rollie will not fit, it is a different size but a similar design. I will pst a picture just to show. The lug is more of a chrome plated post with a central hole.

I could have this hole drilled and tapped to take a screw or set screw, which would then allow the Optech strap (and others) to fit. However as the camera is mint, I don't want to damage it in any way.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:48 AM
Friend

John, I don'tknow if this will help but it would br a shame to drill a hole In several of my old cameras with strap lugs I have used small key rings though the hole and the straps fixed to the key rings, lokks quit neat, and works well, never had one drop yet T use trhis system with both MF and 35mm cameras, I even have small key rings attatching my Leica IIIf and my Microcord's
Richard
Old 29th January 2019, 01:50 PM
Friend

John, you might try what this fellow has done, and make up a sort of cinch strap around the lugs. Looks quite nice actually, and seems secure enough if done right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/461746...uUWb/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/461746...ream/lightbox/

If you used waxed cord or thin leather cord it would probably stay put and not loosen. A sailor would be able to teach you a cinch knot that would do the trick :-)

Lucky you for finding an Autocord in mint shape. Mine is in great shape too, except for the leather which is coming off in places....that's a "round to it" job that still needs doing...

Last edited by Svend; 29th January 2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 08:41 PM
Friend

Default Neck strap.

Thanks for that. The strap lug is the same as on the two pictures and it should be relatively easy to make something that is secure using short length of copper wire and then soldered to form a secure but moveable 'noose' around each lug.

However that would mean the case would have to remain off the body because it would make changing film extremely difficult.

The lug I assume is made from brass which would be quite easy to tap and then cut a fine thread to take a suitable microbolt. I will have to think about the next step. Whatever, I don't like the idea of butchering a superb instrument. The Jury remains out.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Thanks for that. The strap lug is the same as on the two pictures and it should be relatively easy to make something that is secure using short length of copper wire and then soldered to form a secure but moveable 'noose' around each lug.

However that would mean the case would have to remain off the body because it would make changing film extremely difficult.

The lug I assume is made from brass which would be quite easy to tap and then cut a fine thread to take a suitable microbolt. I will have to think about the next step. Whatever, I don't like the idea of butchering a superb instrument. The Jury remains out.
I haven't seen your case, but would it be possible to attach thin cinch cords (as in the Flickr pictures) and mount small quick release clips on the ends? A quick snap and the strap is free, leaving only the little cords attached to the lugs. Would that allow the case to be removed easily?

OpTech's straps use such quick release clips on thin cords:
https://optechusa.com/uni-loop.html
Old 30th January 2019, 08:26 AM
Friend

It would be the problem of actually finding anything or making anything which is neat and unlikely to come away. There must be an original strap out there somewhere, it is just a matter of finding it.

I have patience. Thanks for your efforts and ideas.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies