Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2020, 12:31 PM
Friend

Default SOLD OUT - Online Solar Landscapes Cyanotype printmaking course

Browsing the Tate's site, after looking at a Don Mc Cullin link, I came across the above titled link and excitedly clicked it to see what it was all about, only to find it was sold out.

I am happy that it is sold out, which means there is a lot of interest from people to do it, including those who might not do darkroom work, but then again I'm unhappy that I missed it's announcement.

It's an online 'Zoom' meeting, so no travel is required and it is over a number of weeks.

It doesn't say how many places there were on the course or how much it cost, but hopefully this and other courses will be done in the near future, and that I will find out about them before they're sold out!

Terry S
Old 28th September 2020, 04:21 PM
Friend

Is Zoom where you need a camera at the receiving end so presumably the instructor and the other participants can see you and you see all the other participant - a bit like Newsnight?

On a hands-on course the participants together with presumably a cyanotype kit each to try it out for themselves once they get the instructions in terms of what to do, so does that mean that in a Zoom course you need a portable lap top with inbuilt camera in your own darkroom?

Sorry for what may be naive questions but I am like an old steam locomotive driver who has been brought to life after dying in say 1955 and knows nothing of how an electric train works. It's completely alien to him

Mike PS fortunately he has sprayed himself in Lynx. 65 years dead needs something to hide the smell
Old 28th September 2020, 04:47 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Mike, if you watched Countryfile on Sunday they made a cyanotype in Wordsworth”s garden with not a darkroom in sight!
Old 28th September 2020, 08:26 PM
Friend

Thanks Bill . All I was thinking is that you usually need to have a setup at home with trays etc if it is a learning by doing type of course.

I went on an introductory 1 days course at Jessops in Leicester many years ago about darkroom work and while it was OK watching what the two people did there was neither time not facilities to allow any of us on the course to have any hands on experience and within days if not hours afterwards I had forgotten most of it

I am just sceptical of how well a Zoom course can replicate a group hands-on type of course.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to have a look on iPlayer for last Sunday's Countryfile

Mike- PS now we're climbing up Beattock Summit it's getting rough on the fireman doing the stoking. The Nutty Slack in the tender has nearly all gone
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies