Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th July 2010, 07:31 PM
Friend

Default dsmall dark spots on negs

Les
Hoping you can help me please. On the attached neg scan (heresy around here i know!) I'm getting some odd spot markings. Although this was the worst shot on the roll - it's the worst for markings. All other shots have some but not as bad as this shot. Unfortunately Shanghai don't have film numbers so unsure where abouts on the roll this was. at a guess i'd say this was shot 3.
Film is Shanghai 100 GP3, shot with Bronica SQA-i, developed for 6 mins in Fotospeed FD10, stopped with Fotospeed stop, fixed for 5 mins with Fotospeed FX20. All chemicals mixed fresh just before dev. (Developer was in fact just opened, fixer is a few months old)
I've cleaned the negs with Tetenal 'Film Cleaner Spray' but the spots stay put.
What has caused them please?
Many thanks for any help / advice!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img060.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	755  

Last edited by mrcamm; 13th July 2010 at 07:35 PM.

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 13th July 2010, 11:24 PM
Friend

Hi Rich

The spots on the image of the print posted are dark therefore they would be clear spots on a negative. This would indicate that there is a problem in the emulsion. This could be either a manufacuring problem or it has been caused by using an acid stop bath that is too strong. I gave up using a stop bath years ago for that very reason and have used plain water ever since.
Old 14th July 2010, 06:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
Hi Rich

The spots on the image of the print posted are dark therefore they would be clear spots on a negative. This would indicate that there is a problem in the emulsion. This could be either a manufacuring problem or it has been caused by using an acid stop bath that is too strong. I gave up using a stop bath years ago for that very reason and have used plain water ever since.
thanks Les.
I suspect then that it's probably the emulsion. The Shanghai film is very cheap stuff from China - £11 for 10 rolls inc airmail from fleabay. Alternatively it could also be the stop - which I recall as having been mixed with not enough water (got my 1-19 calcs wrong but didn't think it would have a negative effect!)
Thanks for clearing that up - and so quickly!
Rich

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***