Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st November 2012, 11:58 PM
Friend

lets go through this one step at a time.

First please switch off the chrome internal PDF view (not acrobat) and confirm you have done that.

Second if you have virus/web software loaded and running, then switch it off temporarily and try downlaod again. If downlaod works its your virus/web security causing a problem. If it still doesn't work you can switch your security program back on.

Please confirm you have done the above.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:53 AM
Friend

One thing you can try if you like chrome is the following browser which uses the chrome open source code but with all the privacy breaches that google performs removed. i.e. It provides you greater privacy.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_sr...n_download.php

and it may not cause you problems. I have no problem downloading and opening pdf files into acrobat reader from it.

Last edited by Argentum; 22nd November 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
One thing you can try if you like chrome is the following browser which uses the chrome open source code but with all the privacy breaches that google performs removed. i.e. It provides you greater privacy.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_sr...n_download.php

and it may not cause you problems. I have no problem downloading and opening pdf files into acrobat reader from it.
Forgot to say, it also uses different PDF file handling from chrome. Chrome is just Googles version of Chromium open source browser with google modifications. srware iron is just another implemetation of chromium open source software with srware modifications which don't include privacy snooping code.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:53 PM
Friend

Mike, lots of suggestions so pardon if I'm adding more complications. Why not log in using Internet Explorer (which will probably be on your PC somewhere - if you're using Windows that is) and try to download a file?

Tony
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:25 PM
Friend

did you get this sorted Mike, you've gone very quiet on the topic.
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:50 PM
Friend

Thanks for asking Argentum. No, not sorted yet. I tried exactly what you had said in your second last post and disabled the Chrome pdf browser plug-in. I then looked at my anti-virus which is Kaspersky. As far as switching it off is concerned, all I could find to do was untick all the URL boxes which I did and then tried again but it made no difference.

It seems to me that if the anti-virus was the problem then it should stop all downloading but as I said anything up to 1MB is fine via FADU

Xpres then sent me his pdf via my own e-mail address (i.e. not via a FADU PM)which I had been unable to download via FADU and it downloaded fine

I then tried to download a 3MB file on the F100 from a web file and no problem. I then tried to download a Butkus file and again no problem.

Everything points to the FADU link as being the problem if files are above 1MB.

I have yet to try your download. I take it that I leave the Chrome pdf disabled and your download takes over the link from Chrome to Acrobat?

It just seems strange that Acrobat works fine for any size file from other websites and fine for those via FADU below 1MB

Can you think of an explanation that reconciles these above effects?

I was going to ask the local computer shop but I fear when I describe the symptoms it is liable to say that essentially there is nothing wrong with my computer and I should take it up with the web site in question, namely FADU.

Mike
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:13 PM
Friend

I'm stumped on this one. Is your browsing connection going via a proxy as that could be where something is going amiss. I really can't see why fadu would block you. That just doesn't make sense.

To stop kaspersky start the windows services panel and in there you should be able to stop the service and try again from chrome. remember to go back into kaspersky and restart it.
I don't have kaspersky but check if there are any warnings about fadu downlaods in there.

yes switch off pdf viewer in Iron browser.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:15 AM
Friend

I have installed chrome just to try it and it downloads files over 3Mb from FADU no problem so it is just you that has a problem with chrome.

I rekon its most likely kaspersky but it could your copy of chrome that is faulty too.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:16 AM
Friend

Which version of windows are you running?
Old 24th November 2012, 12:07 PM
Friend

I have Kaspersky too and it doesn't interfere.

I you like, Mike, you can give me a call and we'll go through it a step at a time on my machine and yours to see where things start to go wrong.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies