Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU 2009 Print Exhibition

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 10th August 2009, 03:44 PM
Friend

Not sure whether this is the right thread to place this in but can I ask what print sizes the members are submitting?

The reason for my question is that I have done some measuring and in a 40x50cm frame that we have for a painting on the wall at home, a 16 x21 cm print( allowing for the 2cm border all round) looks so tiny to me.

Unless there were several other prints at the same size, a 16x21cm print will look somewhat dwarfed in my opinion but others who frame regularly and/or have seen such size prints exhibited in such size frames as will be used might know different.

Unfortunately I cannot do bigger, having none of the equipment in terms of trays, easels etc.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10th August 2009, 04:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Not sure whether this is the right thread to place this in but can I ask what print sizes the members are submitting?

The reason for my question is that I have done some measuring and in a 40x50cm frame that we have for a painting on the wall at home, a 16 x21 cm print( allowing for the 2cm border all round) looks so tiny to me.

Unless there were several other prints at the same size, a 16x21cm print will look somewhat dwarfed in my opinion but others who frame regularly and/or have seen such size prints exhibited in such size frames as will be used might know different.

Unfortunately I cannot do bigger, having none of the equipment in terms of trays, easels etc.

Thanks

Mike
Dwarfed or not the acceptable print sizes are shown in the Rules, the important thing is that they have a minimum 2cm border around the image.
Old 11th August 2009, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Some people like to frame small prints in large frames - photographs and paintings. Especially effective if you can group a few together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4frames.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	332
To scale: 16x21cm prints in 40x50cm frames...
Old 11th August 2009, 06:22 AM
Friend

And, I should add, they will all look the same size in the book.
Old 11th August 2009, 03:56 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob. Your illustrations help and Dave, I must admit I had forgotten about the book

Mike.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Just for a lark...

Name:	1Frame8x10.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	334
8x10 portrait format in 40x50cm frame.

Name:	1Frame.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	333
Max size (28cm x 37cm +2cm borders) in 40x50cm frame.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:15 PM
Friend

I wish I could enter but my largest image sizes of my current work is 4x5inches (10cm x 12.5cm) although due to my coating method the border would be a little more probably... and actually at the moment I'm working mostly in 6cm x 9cm prints. I just don't contact print any bigger than that these days.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
I wish I could enter but my largest image sizes of my current work is 4x5inches (10cm x 12.5cm) although due to my coating method the border would be a little more probably... and actually at the moment I'm working mostly in 6cm x 9cm prints. I just don't contact print any bigger than that these days.
The rules were intended to allow 5x4 as a minimum size as I was anticipating someone would want to enter contact prints.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:54 PM
Friend

So... Something like this is okay?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishies...ok/3822982261/
Basically 4x5inch negative/image with a bit of sloppy painted edges and it's been squished into an 8x10inch frame for reference.

I can definitely leave at least 1-2cm of white around for overmatting purposes...
Old 15th August 2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The rules were intended to allow 5x4 as a minimum size as I was anticipating someone would want to enter contact prints.
Ah - a typo in the rules then - I didn't spot that either... Should read 10 x 12.5cm + border then?

Of course, with hand-coated work there is the option to show the edge coating marks.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies