Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2018, 06:47 PM
Friend

Hi Brian, welcome to FADU, and all the best with the build.

Ian
Old 26th November 2018, 07:11 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU. You will find we are all a friendly bunch here.

When I moved to my present address 4+ years ago I set about converting my spare bedroom as a darkroom but it is big enough to share company with my digital set up and both systems sit quite happily in the same place. I took the easy way out!

After blacking out the window my next priority was fitting extra light and power sockets then making a workbench. I decided against a running water supply because my bathroom and all the drainage is at the back of the house and the darkroom is at the front. I only have 3 steps from the darkroom to the bathroom with running water anyway. (I Just cover the carpet outside so I don't mark anything.)

It works well, with a radiator in the room for heating, so it is well set up.

Do you stay with Black and white or print in colour?
Old 26th November 2018, 09:57 PM
Friend

Brian, I can see the embryonic darkroom now and based on that and what you have added by way of additional info, everything looks good for its future.

Mike
Old 27th November 2018, 07:06 PM
Friend

Welcome, Brian!
Frank
Old 28th November 2018, 02:50 AM
Friend

I have an Omega C700 and a Bessler Dichro 67. I bought the Bessler (and basically an entire darkroom kit) from a nice lady in Chicago-and a relative gave me the C700 after he bought a load of stuff at an estate sale. A fellow from my former photo club gave me an old 6' fiberglass sink and stand, so I am ready when I get the room build finished!

I mainly will print B&W to start, until I can regain some long lost form. But I do shoot color and want to develop and make color prints next year. I have a bunch of exposed color rolls in the frig, ready to develop.

Really looking forward to jumping back into the analogue world and spending lots of time there. I can still remember taking a photo of my French teacher in his office back in 7th grade, developing the film, printing an 8x10 and showing him. He was a grumpy guy but really liked that print!
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:03 AM
Friend

Welcome Brian all the best with the darkroom build

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:02 PM
Friend

Hi Brian.
What are you doing about a door?
The only time I've built a darkroom from scratch I used a 'pocket door'. That is, a sliding door built inside the stud wall. With a slightly over size door in a narrow slot, and the interior of the stud wall painted matt black it was very light-tight. The only (small) downside was you can't open it with your hands full.
My next darkroom is a going to be in a small upstairs office. I won't need the same arrangement as outside the door will be a small landing with second door. Effectively the darkroom will be behind two doors which are set at 90 degrees to each other.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:53 PM
Friend

Default Light proofing

You could consider what I have done to proof the door against light leakage from outside. Being in a modern(ish) house the doors are a reasonably good fit so I simply stuck 2" black gaffa tape on the edges so that about 1" inch was hanging over the edge.

After wiping the unstuck surface with a paint solvent - I used white spirit to remove the adhesive and it has been in place for at least 3+ years doing the job it was intended to do. Simple and it works.

The bottom edge and the hinge side didn't need the gaffa tape treatment, as they were light tight anyway.
Old 5th December 2018, 05:24 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum.
Old 27th December 2018, 03:22 AM
Friend

RE: the door, check out attached pics. I'm lucky I can seal up a small basement window with cardboard and pretty much block all light down there.

The darkroom is about 90% done and is now functional. I finished plumbing the sinks a couple days ago and even managed to get down today for a few hours of printing! It will take some getting used to things again-like not stopping down before printing 3 times and not knowing why the print were turning black when developing!!

But I am pleased with how functional the room is; it might be a tight space but it feels just right! I will be adding some shelving and book cases in the next few weeks-storage is a premium in there!!

I will be developing some film and doing some more test prints tomorrow-and I will be firing off questions about things as I come across them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1478.jpg   IMG_9181.jpg   IMG_9218.jpg   IMG_7091.jpg  

Tags
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies