Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2020, 09:03 PM
Friend

Yes the water method does appear to be a lot more useful that I had imagined until I read Les McLean's book Creative B&W Photography and saw what he managed to do with it

Mike
Old 13th December 2020, 04:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
...can you say what change in exposure new DELUXE has resulted in when exposing at grade 4 and 5

With MGIV Ilford said that you needed to double the exposure once you went beyond grade 3.5 but with DELUXE it does not give any exact figure that I can see. It simply hints that fine tuning is needed...

I am assuming that 200 to 100 correlates to the doubling of exposure needed with grades 4&5 with MGIV but on that basis it is about a 10% increase only with DELUXE

So has anyone used grades 4&5 with DELUXE and if so is the increase in exposure about 10% compared with grades 00 - 3?

Thanks

Mike
I finally got around to doing some exposure test strips recently and these are MY results.

I have found going from grade 3 to grade 4 (with recently bought from Ilford, new filters), one needs to increase the exposure by 3/5 f-stop, so about 60%.

Interestingly, I found that from grade 3 to grade 5, one only needs 2/5 f-stop extra exposure, so about 40%.

And there is just 1/5 f-stop difference between grades 4 and 5 filter, so about 20%.

I hope these figures are helpful to someone and answer questions asked.

Terry S
Old 13th December 2020, 09:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I finally got around to doing some exposure test strips recently and these are MY results.

I have found going from grade 3 to grade 4 (with recently bought from Ilford, new filters), one needs to increase the exposure by 3/5 f-stop, so about 60%.

Interestingly, I found that from grade 3 to grade 5, one only needs 2/5 f-stop extra exposure, so about 40%.

And there is just 1/5 f-stop difference between grades 4 and 5 filter, so about 20%.

I hope these figures are helpful to someone and answer questions asked.

Terry S
Thanks, Terry. Well there is certainly no substitute for a trial compared to what is theory and possibly flawed theory as well in my case. However if my understanding of what the paper speeds mean is correct then the change from 3 to 4 seems to suggest that a 10-12 % might be OK rather than 60% but I may be misunderstanding what the paper speeds at the various grades really mean

What does seem strange is that 3-5 is less at 40% than 3-4 at 60%

It would certainly be useful if there are any other users now of MGV who can comment of their experience in this regard.

Mike
Old 14th December 2020, 07:43 AM
Friend

Default MGV and Kentmere fineprint

Below is a copy of a post I made a few days ago in the topic 'What are you printing right now'

I have just finished a session printing B&W on my last stocks of Kentmere fine print in 12x16 sheets. This is the first opportunity I have had to compare Kentmere with the new Ilford MGV.

Speed-wise there is virtually nothing between them, the Ilford seems to have a wider gamut at least at Gd2, it also takes a lot longer for the image to appear and needs longer than the Kentmere to get the best image quality. The negatives I printed all required Gd2 so did not have the opportunity to compare other grades, although a drystone wall in shadow needed Gd4 to keep tones with the Kentmere. With Ilford it was Gd3.

The tone of the blacks on Ilford is a bit warmer, but I actually like both, with the Kentmere being almost completely neutral. I consider 2 x 12x16 and 2x 9.5x12 prints in a 2 hour session good going.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:52 AM
Friend

I have never compared Kentmere Fineprint, which was Kentmere's FBVC paper, the equilivent of Ilford MGVC paper, I used my last sheet a long time ago, but it was much better than the Ilford product of the time, I loved the the Kentmere warm tone fine print, much better than the Ilford warmtone paper, but My comparisons were between the Pre Harman Kentmere VC select RC and the MGV, and it is certainly vwerey very close to the old Kentmere product, grade for grade, my analyser pro settings are exactly the same, so speed for speed it is the same, and I always thought that the pre harman Kentmere RC was a better paper than the Ilford MG paper, sadly I am down to my last 25 sheets of Kentmere
Richard
Old 14th December 2020, 11:40 AM
Friend

Default A Mix Up

Sorry Richard, the paper wasn't Kentmere Fineprint! I was getting the names mixed up it, was Kentmere Select that I compared MGV with. MY mistake, I apologise. I do still have about half a dozen 12x16 sheets of the Fineprint which I will be using when I want something other than glossy which is the Select surface.
Old 14th December 2020, 01:38 PM
Friend

Kentmere made some fine papers, unmatched by anything around today I remember using the Kentmere select, that would have been different to MGV, Until the Harman buy out I used mainly Kentmere, I far preferred it to the Ilford offering, I kept my Fine print warm tone paper for very special prints when Harman dropped it, and used my very last sheet of 9 1/2 by 12 18 months ago, sad day
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies