Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th October 2020, 10:33 AM
Friend

Default Film Cameras

I know that good quality film cameras are becoming harder to find but the used equipment dealer Mifsud's in Devon, I think is having a bit of a laugh with 2 Nikon FM2n boxed bodies which they have pitched the selling price at £599 each.

As good as they are, I think that price is way over the top for a 30 year old camera. Even a F2a in mint condition would be struggling to get that valuation.
Old 4th October 2020, 11:11 AM
Friend

Dealers will very occasionally do such things from what I have seen. Is it a genuine mistake or a "market test" to see what the demand at that price is, maybe because they saw a similar one go for that on e-bay? Who knows?

Clearly if the market is big enough then there is always a chance that someone out there has to money and desire to pay what may be a ridiculous price.

If I were a dealer then I'd want to protect my reputation for reasonable dealing at all times and be fearful of giving the impression that I am the equivalent of the kind of trader associated with bazaars in certain parts of the world but that's me

It'll be interesting if the price is revised in the near future.

Mike
Old 4th October 2020, 01:56 PM
Friend

Ebay and such has poisoned the used product market. Somehow many believe if it's "vintage" it is worth a fortune. And some dealers have joined in on the trend as well.

I have a Nikon FM2n someone on another site gave me that belonged to their father and sat in a closet for decades. Sent it out to be restored (took almost 2 years) and it's a gem. Patience helps.
Old 4th October 2020, 02:33 PM
Friend

That is a joke, but I will say that although Mifsuds seems to be a reliable seller, they do way overprice a lot of their stock, for instance I dropped the prism finder from my Bronica, which didn't do it any good I needed a replacement, looked around for a reasonable replacement, looked at FFordes, Harrison Cameras, and a few others, all selling them described as very good condition, all around the all around the £75 to£79 price range, plus post of £10 to £12 special delivery, gets it over here next day instead of 4 to 5 days, Mifsuds had 3 of them all £99 plus £15 pound carriage, so they are certainly at the high end, got one from Ffordes, boxed, with instructions,£76 plus postage of £9.5 special delivery, came with the correct cover for the mirror, not a mark on it, as described,
Richard
Old 4th October 2020, 08:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Even a F2a in mint condition would be struggling to get that valuation.
There is someone on Photrio selling a F2a It is fully functional with new light seals but has a few ding on the top plate and the lever for releasing the finder is loose Speeds and meter is spot-on

This being the owner's description not mine except for "fully functional" which I think might be a fair description of it from the owner's description

OK he is a private seller so does not need to make a living from selling cameras and it is fully functional and not mint but he wants only $210 for it which if you are right about a mint F2a is only a third as much and that's in dollars

Mike
Old 5th October 2020, 08:19 AM
New User

That's ridiculous what is going on with the market. Prices go up because people who don't know much about this will overspend since that's what ebay shows... It's good to have this forum or other friends who can help save a bit of money
Old 17th October 2020, 07:56 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F4

I have just bought an apparently almost mint Nikon F4 For less than £200! It looked such a snip, without too much arm twisting I contacted the dealer and it is on its way to me come Monday. It has a 14 day sale or return or a 6 month guarantee if I keep it. No it wasn't bought from Mifsud's!

It is complete in as much it still has the tiny screw in plug that covers the proper cable release socket on the lower bottom left of the body.

I am gradually disowning digital and moving back into the darkroom so this will join my F6 and F100.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:39 PM
Friend

Wink

Can't go wrong with an F4, built like a tank. The Nikon F4 must have the widest range of lenses/accessories to fit it than any other camera ever made. Rock solid intuitive controls and a plethora of modes and functions. IMHO One of the best cameras ever made. I have two of them, one is mint and the other is a workhorse, 3 decades old never been repaired and "touch wood" still working as well as the day they left the shop.
Old 18th October 2020, 08:19 AM
Friend

I cannot agree more about the F4 I have had a couple in the past and regret selling them on. I dropped one onto grass but it wasn't damaged only a bit of mud on the right hand edge and jokingly said the impact must have registered on the Richter scale.

The only 'F' pro series camera I have not used or would not contemplate buying is the F5. Too heavy and I would not like to carry the extra the weight.
Old 20th October 2020, 11:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have just bought an apparently almost mint Nikon F4 For less than £200! It looked such a snip, without too much arm twisting I contacted the dealer and it is on its way to me come Monday. It has a 14 day sale or return or a 6 month guarantee if I keep it. No it wasn't bought from Mifsud's!

It is complete in as much it still has the tiny screw in plug that covers the proper cable release socket on the lower bottom left of the body.

I am gradually disowning digital and moving back into the darkroom so this will join my F6 and F100.
I now have the 'beast'! I had forgotten how heavy they are but I think I have a good partner for my F6. It is not quite 'mint' although to be honest it wasn't described as such. There are wear points (tiny) on the corners of the prism and the body, where it has been held has a bit of polishing but nothing to worry about.

It actually makes the F6 feel a little flimsy, but that is probably because it is quite a lit lighter.

When focussing my 35/70 2.8 AFD zoom there is quite a bit torque reaction when the motor starts moving the lens. In fact quite a kick.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies