Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th January 2017, 03:43 PM
Friend

Default Ragnar Axelsson

Last Days of the Arctic by Ragnar Axelsson. I had to take my car in for an air bag malfunction recall, they get you to take your car in and do a health check find umpteen things wrong with it then want you to have everything done at their dealership paying top wack. I always seem to get recalls in Jan. it must be a slack time for Toyota. I had 31/2 hours to kill so I had a full English breakfast, had a haircut and visited the photography section of our local library, yes we still have one the tory government have not taken ours away yet! Found a wonderful book by Ragnar Alxesson Last days of the Arctic, documentary photography at its finest, he photographs the Inuit people in their struggle to hang onto their way of life. Well worth a look at if you have a library quite pricey if you want to buy it and you have a strong shelf to put it on. The author has a website where you can see a good selection of photos in the book http://www.rax.is/galleries/4/all/ enjoy.
Old 13th January 2017, 04:24 PM
Friend

Thanks for sharing this with us. Not just a precious documentary of a way of life, also a photographic genius.
Peter
Old 13th January 2017, 05:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
Thanks for sharing this with us. Not just a precious documentary of a way of life, also a photographic genius.
Peter
You are most welcome, there is also a documentry to be shown on BBC 4 21:00 9th May http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0110ghk Also a preview of the book on Youtube.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 13th January 2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added text
Old 13th January 2017, 05:55 PM
Friend

The website certainly looks promising.

My Corsa went for a recall last week at the main dealers, who did their "healthcheck" and reckoned it needed £500 worth of work. Naturally I declined and it's going for an MOT at a small garage next week and I suespect it will pass at minimal cost.

The two guys who run the garage used to work at main dealers and tell me they have seen all the income-generating tricks that the dealers use.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:42 PM
Friend

Norm,
Thank you for posting this. I was not aware of Axelsson's work. It really is outstanding.

The subject matter strikes a chord with me, as, being Canadian, the issue of climate change and how it is affecting our Arctic is a MAJOR concern here in this country. We have recently seen very significant impacts there in a very short period of time. The disappearing sea ice and warming temperatures is altering an entire ecosystem, with consequent effects on native animal and plant species and the Inuit who subsist on them (at least those who still choose the subsistence way of life [they have my greatest respect]). And let's not talk about the geopolitical implications (opening of the Northwest Passage; territorial disputes about who owns the Arctic), nor easier access for resource extraction (oil drilling; mining). It is truly becoming a crisis.

In any case, this isn't a forum for such discussions, so I will simply say that Axelsson's work is very timely and I applaud him and the BBC for shining a light on what is happening. Excellent photography -- very impactful and compelling.

Regards,
Svend
Old 20th January 2017, 11:24 AM
Friend

Definitely worth checking out his work. I have all his books, each has a sligtly different flavour but all show an excellent skill and "eye"...
Old 20th January 2017, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
You are most welcome, there is also a documentry to be shown on BBC 4 21:00 9th May http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0110ghk Also a preview of the book on Youtube.
I'm afraid to say, after checking the BBC4 link that you give, that the date you give is one of the LAST transmissions of the programme, which as you quote is 09 May but BACK IN 2011!!!

PS Just checking (good old) You tube and I found the programme on there!

Happy watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nck0vjTxFY

Terry S
Old 10th December 2020, 02:13 PM
Friend

This article promotes the new book from Rax about the dying days of the Greenland sled dog.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ic-in-pictures
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies