Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th October 2015, 07:42 PM
Friend

Default Heavy pan/tilt head for tripod

Hiya all.

I have a problem with my tripod/ballhead combo, it is NOT strong enough

The gear in question it the Sirui N2004/K-30X combo, that is rated 15/30 kg payload.

When I use it with my 135 cameras, and my Bronica's, I can do almost what I want, and it is rock steady, I can actually lift the tripod and wiggle it, while holding it by the camerahouse.

But when I use it with my Mamiya RZ67 ProII the head starts to slide, as in the head can only hold the camera if I find the exact center off mass and keeps the camera horisontal.

It is not that I can say "this lens is so long that the head can't hold it", it happens no matter if I have the 65mm or the 250mm lens attached.
Old 24th October 2015, 11:32 PM
Friend

I like gear heads like the Majestic.
They may be a little overkill for your cameras, but the used prices are usually pretty good at least in the Americas.
I would imagine Majestics may be hard to find in Europe, but you may have your own versions over there.
Old 25th October 2015, 01:07 AM
Friend

I have a Manfrotto pan and tilt head which I think is the 029 model. I have some issues with it, mainly the tilt action which goes down no problem, but needs a hand on the camera to come back up. It is, however, very secure. I use it with my Horseman camera which weighs 5.4 kg without a lens and it holds it at any angle. The downside is that the head weighs around 2 kg itself, so it needs a substantial tripod. I have found that every head I have used has had some degree of flex, meaning that there is a slight movement as the weight "settles" after the position has been locked. This happens even with a 35mm camera on the head designed for large format. I have had the " slipping" head problem, which sounds like what you are experiencing, and it is very frustrating. There are a few Mamiya users on the Forum, so perhaps someone can give some more specific recommendations.
Alex.
Old 25th October 2015, 02:58 AM
Friend

I did have a Manfrotto 029 like Alex and agree with him 100% on them. Especially their weight.
Although I haven't weighed my gear head I'm sure that it weighs less.

Probably the biggest Pro of the Manfrotto is you can walk through the roughest neighborhoods and watch all the thugs avoiding you knowing that you have a club. (one drug addict backed away from me in a hurry when he saw mine)
Old 25th October 2015, 08:35 AM
Friend

Have a look at the Manfrotto 410 geared head. It's a joy to use compared to an ungeared pan&tilt. Would be a great head for a Mamiya RZ.
Old 26th October 2015, 06:00 AM
Friend

I also use the 410 and as Dave says it is a joy to use, it gives me perfect control with my Sen Hao fitted and my other cameras. I have it on a Velbon Carbon tripod and find it easy to carry on long walks.
Richard
Old 26th October 2015, 09:44 PM
Friend

Soren,
Just so you know, we are all 3 using much bigger cameras than yours.

I do not know about the others, but I just tighten my camera onto my tripod, and throw it over my shoulder. Then take hikes through some pretty rugged country.

So we all have to trust our tripods and heads or we would never have them.
Old 31st October 2015, 08:59 AM
Friend

Sorren, it looks like your Tripod Head has come to the end of its useful life and its time to invest in a new one.

I have two tripod heads which I use on my 5x4 without problems :-

The Manfrotto 229 is conventional 3 way head - http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/3d-super-pro-head

The Manfroto 405 is a geared head - http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/405-geared-head.

Both are very secure.

I prefer the geared head - but its very much a personal choice.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies