Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2016, 09:18 PM
Friend

Default how to process film from bulk back

hi all

a friend has an idea to use a Nikon f3 with bulk back and 50' rolls of b/w film

can anybody tell me how I might go about processing them

best

robin
Old 19th April 2016, 09:44 PM
Friend

If the film is going to be exposed as normal, frame by frame, you would just cut it into suitable lengths after removing it from the camera. You could measure the length of 36 frames, for example, and plan to shoot a couple of blanks at the end of each batch. Make a length of wood to correspond to 37 frames, to help measurement in the dark. Process the cut lengths in spirals as normal.
If the plan is for a continuous strip, you will need a huge spiral, or perhaps a trough with pegs stuck in the base at each end. You could then secure the film to a peg and run it back and forth along the trough, turning round a peg at each end. The number of pegs needed would depend on the length of the trough. Processing would need to be done in the dark, and care taken to fill and empty the trough quickly and evenly.
Good luck!!
Alex
Old 20th April 2016, 02:50 AM
Friend

50 feet should be around 8 or 9 36 EXP rolls. I'd unload and cut in the dark as mentioned above. Then process as usual.
Old 20th April 2016, 07:38 AM
Friend

You might contact Ilford/Harman Technical Services. Unless your friend wants the film cut arbitrarily (destroying some frames) the film needs machine processing. There will still be a a London lab processing 35mm B&W cine film,

There is one alternative you can still find 15m developing tanks for 16mm & 35mm film, how easy they are to load I have no idea.

Ian
Old 20th April 2016, 08:15 AM
Friend

What Ian said.

Alternatively, your friend can contact Hewes. They take special orders for customised reel (and probably tanks). But they will probably be quite expensive. No harm asking though.
http://www.hewes.co.uk/

You know those little (about 1.5 feet tall) green recycle bins that the local council gives in the Enfield, Middlesex area? I saw my aunt getting some of them. They seem to be quite thick. Could they be thick enough to be light tight? If they're and if the reel fits inside, you could use it as a cheap tank. Of course you'll have to tape the lead properly to make it light-tight and leak-proof.

Bests,
Ashfaque

Last edited by ashfaque; 20th April 2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes!
Old 20th April 2016, 03:13 PM
Friend

One thing you could do is look at the filmshooting forum. You could find some info about cine tanks there.
Alex
Old 21st April 2016, 10:56 AM
Friend

Don't forget to allow for the first few frames when the film is first loaded and wound on, which can be anything around 6 inches in old money

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st April 2016, 12:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfaque View Post
Alternatively, your friend can contact Hewes. They take special orders for customised reel (and probably tanks). But they will probably be quite expensive. No harm asking though.
http://www.hewes.co.uk/
The bulk load 35mm reels are a standard item at Hewes, perhaps in stock. But quite expensive, as has been said.
I used to make odd-shaped tanks for one-time use by lining a plywood box with polythene sheet. One that lasted for several batches was lined with plasticised PVC, part of a children's inflatable toy. I washed the film in a bathroom handbasin, lifting it every few minutes. The drying was the trickiest part - I took the curtain off a shower rail and hung loops of film from opened-out paper clips in the sprocket holes, supported by the curtain hooks.
It was explained to me that, with patience (no heat!), film can be dried on the (stainless-steel) reel, although I admit that I never tried it. I believe the secret is to back-wind the film so that the uncoated back is against the metal.
Kodak used to sell a cream-coloured thing that looked like an overgrown Moulinex coffee grinder. The plastic Kodak spiral loaded from the centre. It spun the moisture out of the spiral, had a fan in the base and ?blotting paper around the inside of the cylinder. It was used by Jarrolds of Norwich to process negative-working colour print film for slides of beauty spots, for sale in packs to tourists. I never used it. As I recollect there was no heater.
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:24 AM
Friend

hi all

annoyingly they are using that other stuff ... for the job as they got scared
it was for a b/w animation on a pin registered F3
I would of bought some hewes 15m reels cages and deep tanks and had a nice little setup
I also had planned to make a film dryer

shame

robin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies