Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2012, 12:29 PM
Friend

Thanks to all for the recent replies. To Big Paul, I think I can state that I seem to have sorted out the condenser riddle. Some. at least, of these enlargers were suppiled with them, others perhaps not. When he received it, my father would not have been processing 35mm so, in all probablity, it was not required although there is space for a third.

As regards the stopping agent, I won't bother with either it or the squeegee. The squeegee seems to me to be an ideal place for grit to accumulate. I remember in Dad's day, he used to splash the 'Wettol' about. I guess this was the wetting agent; probably Johnsons' mauufacture? I might have been wrong about Dad and his two fingers (yes, they were those same two fingers!) but just leaving the film to hang and dry seems sensible.

On another note (and probably, not for this part of the forum -- apologies Mr Moderator), during my loft clearing this morning, I came across a box full of b&w quarter plate (?) slides. Some were my father's but many were from photographers from whom he had obviously 'acquired' them. Many of the names were familiar to me as leading slide makers of their day but one name in particular made me sit up. Is anybody familiar with the name Dudley Johnstone? I have a number of his slides. They are beautiful. One, of Venice, is outstanding in its clarity and is dated exactly 100 years ago. I am finding a treasure trove up in the attic.
Old 24th September 2012, 03:55 PM
Friend

Peter, with 35mm I find that just hanging doesn't always work, drying marks can cause problems, so I always fold a sheet of kitchen roll and wipe the shiny side of the film, never had a problem, with 120 just shake and hang'
Richard
Old 24th September 2012, 04:53 PM
Friend

Thank you Richard. It will be 120 for now, so shake and hang it is.

I have just found another couple of enlarger lenses in the course of the loft clear out --- a Durst Componon and a Wray H R Lustrar.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:07 PM
Friend

Peter,

it's really great to see so many helpful replies made to your original enquiries!

As for your questions about the glass plates and the enlarger lenses, I would start a new thread about those as people only see the original title when looking at the forum list. These further questions are therefore more than likely to go unanswered.

Keep us all up to date with the development of the film though!

Terry S
Old 24th January 2017, 11:05 PM
New User

Default andamanaffair

Re your late father's 'Black Prince Enlarger'- I purchased one in 1953 to enlarge black and white Medium Format negs. to Full Plate black & white
prints, as an amateur wedding photographer for some of my friends!
The Black Prince enlarger had two condensers resting on a 'gimble' (similar to a ship's binnacle compass) in order that the condensers could 'FLOAT'.
The enlarger served me very well and gave me many first class enlargement prints, some of which I still have today after 63 years and they have not faded, still crisp and bold. One was taken of the Household
Cavalry soldier on Horseback outside Horseguards Parade.
Did you know that two of these Black Prince Enlargers are fitted inside the Royal Yacht 'BRITTANIA' Hope you get some prints off it, it can also
be traversed horizontily to project onto a white wall in order to obtain a
very large print. Good Luck. billatblake.
Old 25th January 2017, 08:51 AM
Friend

My Johsons V45 enlarger came with a pair of condensers for 5x4 and a third that sat on top in a holder for Medium format.

Condenser enlargers also need careful adjustment of the bulb to minimise vignetting, they also ned the right bulbs for even illumination.

Ian
Old 25th January 2017, 11:18 AM
Friend

I have had a few enlargers that have came with three condenser lenses ,if they are different sizes they are for different negative /enlarger lens size ...oh and welcome to FADU ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th January 2017, 12:06 PM
Friend

I think we may be getting to a size as a forum that suggests it is useful to check if the original friend is still here before replying to his thread, unless of course the thread has a useful life of its own and covers matters that are pertinent to others still here

Unfortunately the OP has not been seen since November 2012 which billatblake may not be aware of.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies