Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photographic   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2017, 05:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
Forgive me for asking, but I'm intrigued that people frequently talk of storing photographic chemicals in brown bottles. Surely the manufacturers would supply their products in dark bottles if they were light sensitive, whereas most (notably excepting Fotospeed) are sold in white or transparent plastic.
While it is true that photographic chemicals break down under UV radiation, there is something of an urban myth about the need for brown bottles.

So, if you keep your chemicals outside in strong Arizona direct summer sunlight - brown is a good idea.

However, if you are in the UK and keep your chemicals in-doors and out of direct sunlight - then the advantages of brown bottles are less obvious.

Personally, I keep my chemicals in plastic PET or HDPE bottles in a cupboard in a north facing room.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photographic   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd