Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2015, 12:28 PM
Friend

Default Metal body cleaning

Hi
I have a couple of silver metal bodied cameras, including a Fujica and a Ricoh TLS which I am still tinkering with, my question is, what is the best way to clean up the silver metal parts of the body ? As I am reluctant to apply anything I'm not sure about and ruin the look of it.
They are in fairly good condition anyway, but I have seen some old cameras that look like new, or should I just leave well alone?

Tim
Old 12th May 2015, 01:49 PM
Friend

Hello there.
I used lighter fluid, the kind you would use in Zippo lighters. Apply with paper tissue folded up, use a tootpick to reach in the corners. It will remove the crud and leave a shine aspect, won't remove traces of oxidation though. Be careful not to let the fluid on optical glass as it might harm the coating. It shouldn't ruin plastics but, as they say, better safe than sorry.
Bbq lighter should be a very close alternative, and something else I believe it is also a relative is found among other detergents at the supermarket, for which I don't know an English identification. The closest literal translation for it would be something like "aviation fuel", if it actually means something...
Cheers, M.
Old 12th May 2015, 01:54 PM
Friend

Next time I fly Ryan Air I will prick a wing as we go under and hold a small bottle --
Old 12th May 2015, 02:07 PM
Friend

Isopropanol (lens cleaning fluid) or naptha (lighter fluid) are probably your best bets.

I'd avoid nail varnish remover (acetone) as it can melt some plastics.
Old 12th May 2015, 02:12 PM
Friend

I have used Brasso, very carefully and in small amounts, on some of my old cameras that needed the body cleaned with no trouble, but use very carfully and do not get onto the leather or optical surfaces, used in this way the metal comes up a treat
Richard
Old 12th May 2015, 03:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Next time I fly Ryan Air I will prick a wing as we go under and hold a small bottle --
Pete I don't want to trivialise the thread but your jokey comment reminds me of the famous "Twilight Zone" episode with William Shatner where he sees a gremlin that no-one else can see despite his protestations, tearing at the engine cowling and then in a fit of exasperated insanity walks on the wing and shoots the gremlin( who fall off) thus saving the plane which no-one else realises is in danger anyway. The passengers and crew simply think he has gone insane

As he is being stretchered off the plane as a gibbering wreck on landing, one of the ground staff mechanics says to his fellow mechanic: "If I didn't know any better I'd swear that someone was on that wing last night tearing at that cowling

It sounds risible but it worked brilliantly

Mike
Old 12th May 2015, 05:15 PM
Friend

Default Camera cleaning

Thanks for the advice Gents, much appreciated.
Mike ,I remember that short story with William Shatner, I think it was one of those Twighlight zone type programs.

Tim
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:09 AM
Friend

Lighter fluid (Naptha) - useful for all sorts of things . . even removing lumps of undiluted photoflo off of film (though be careful) . . . however be cautious if you are using it on a lacquer-ised metal (like some Leitz lenses) - it can affect it (though it doesn't always).
Once you've got the metal nice and clean, a rubbing of nose grease (you know that stuff at the side of your nose ) doesn't go amiss and gives a nice muted lustre. Said grease also works well on Leica vulcanised rubber body coverings too.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:53 AM
Friend

I am a great believer in Isopropyl Alcohol, it is inert in as much it won't dissolve plastics (at least those used in cameras) and leaves the surface, grease and grime free. However it also will remove the grease from fingers too so make sure you wear at least one surgical glove or use skin cream afterwards.

You used to be able to buy it in a chemists via the pharmacy counter, but no longer, the only source I can find is on the internet.
Old 30th August 2015, 09:33 AM
Friend

yes-- all the Forums I read the Yanks always use 'isopropyl alcohol' BUT when I went to all the pharmacies and such shops here in Brentwood nobody had any and one pharmacy man told me " you need a LICENCE to get it " -- well, having done Chemistry at 'A' Level I know it is not 'drinkable' unlike C2H5 OH Ethyl Alcohol !!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies