Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2016, 07:24 PM
Friend

Default Repairers what an attitude

I have a 29/90 Vivitar zoom lens F2.8/3.5 (Manual Nikon fit) which despite it's age is virtually unmarked, but the focussing and zooming collar has become very stiff to operate. I wouldn't bother to do anything with it but the lens is a real cracker and would not like to stop using it.

I have spent several hours this afternoon 'phoning round the more well known repairers - at least 10, but I only found one that was willing to do a service which would amount to a re-grease the focussing mechanism. The excuses by the others that came out, ranged from 'It's not worth my effort to do that' to 'Yes we can do it and our charge would be £90 plus VAT. One of the better known ones was estimating 6-8 weeks turn around!

The one that will ask to do it was asking around £40 inclusive of return postage with a 10 day turn a round

I am not naming and shaming anyone, so don't ask, but it seems that if it doesn't have a quick replacement chip they are not interested.
Old 17th February 2016, 08:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have a 29/90 Vivitar zoom lens F2.8/3.5 (Manual Nikon fit) which despite it's age is virtually unmarked, but the focussing and zooming collar has become very stiff to operate. I wouldn't bother to do anything with it but the lens is a real cracker and would not like to stop using it.

I have spent several hours this afternoon 'phoning round the more well known repairers - at least 10, but I only found one that was willing to do a service which would amount to a re-grease the focussing mechanism. The excuses by the others that came out, ranged from 'It's not worth my effort to do that' to 'Yes we can do it and our charge would be £90 plus VAT. One of the better known ones was estimating 6-8 weeks turn around!

The one that will ask to do it was asking around £40 inclusive of return postage with a 10 day turn a round

I am not naming and shaming anyone, so don't ask, but it seems that if it doesn't have a quick replacement chip they are not interested.
It's a sad fact that a repair will often cost far more than just replacing an item with a far better condition second hand version.

Ian
Old 17th February 2016, 10:48 PM
Friend

Default lens

If the lens was a battered example I would not have bothered but this is a boxed and truly mint example that hasn't been used for perhaps 35-40 years and consequently the grease has gone hard. The guy who is to do the job recons about 90 minutes work start to finish. No non obtainable parts to replace or fabricate, just a clean up of the helical grooves and a dab of fresh grease. SIMPLES!
Old 18th February 2016, 08:29 AM
Friend

I don't think it will be out order to post the details of the service engineer who is prepared to take on the job, others here are bound to be interested, me included

Good to hear a good old well performing lens is to be kept in use.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th February 2016, 08:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

It would be cheaper to just buy one in better condition.
Old 18th February 2016, 09:17 PM
Friend

Default Cheaper lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
It would be cheaper to just buy one in better condition.
I have not seen another one of these for at least 25-30 years so the chances of finding one in otherwise mint condition is probably less than nil. Apart from the stiff focusing/zooming it is truely mint, and the negs it produces are really very, very good. What I like is the actual build quality and the 2.8/3.5 aperture. They hark back to the day when lenses were all metal and glass and not flimsy plastic.
Old 19th February 2016, 09:44 AM
Friend

There are reasonable priced repairers, I see a few at a camera fair but the next one isn't until April. One is from up your way and I know does trade repairs so dealing direct is a lot cheaper, if I can find his card I'll pass on the details.

Ian
Old 19th February 2016, 11:53 AM
Friend

Some companies loose sight of who is the customer. I can understand some of them not wanting to get involved because they no longer have the expertise but will not admit to it.
To say it is not worth their time is nuts who is paying for it anyway.
It is good to hear that some one out there wants to earn a living instead of wasting their time on Facebook.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 24th February 2016, 07:34 PM
Friend

I am considering trying to butcher my 2 worse for wear Pentax ME supers for the same reason, that repairing it would be just too much and not worth the effort. Would be cool to know the engineer who is taking on the job. Promoting one of the good guys would be a benefit to the community.

Real name is James xx
Old 24th February 2016, 09:00 PM
Friend

Have you tried warming it up with a hair dryer and working the lens to free it up?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies