Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2016, 09:45 PM
Friend

Default Advice on alternative developer dilutions

I need some advice: Using the Massive Development Chart (actually I use the Android phone app to time the process), I see alternative dilutions for most developers; For example last weekend I processed a roll of Ilford Pan F+ in Fotospeed FD10, for which either 1+9 or 1+14 dilution was listed. On grounds of economy I chose the weaker solution with consequent longer development time, but here is my question: How does this affect the result, if at all?
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:43 PM
Friend

I am not a photographic chemist but I'd have thought that for most developers any change in dilution is compensated for by time so the end result is the same. It may be that stock solution gives less speed, and less edge effect.

Based on film speed for Perceptol stock it would appear that you lose most speed for stock and less for 1+1 and least for 1+3. I have no idea if FD10 works this way.

However with other developers such as Xtol, stock and 1+1 only seems to affect time.

Here's hoping that someone who has a lot more knowledge of developers at various dilutions and FD10 in particular can be much more specific

Mike
Old 24th February 2016, 08:34 AM
Friend

In my experiance it makes no differance to the end result, however, I would caution over using any dilution that results in developing for less than 5 minutes as that can result in uneven development, but for instance with Rodinal I tend to use 1/50, but I have sometimes used 1/25 and I cannot see any difference, and lately I have been trying out the Firstcall film developer, I have used it on my Fomapan at 1/7,1/12 and 1/19 and the only difference has been in the length of the developing time, the finished negative looks the same whatever the dilution, I am not a chemist, or have tech knowledge, just my eyes and to my eyes there is no difference, I am sure that there is a techinal difference and others will explain it, but to my practial experience the only difference is that the bottle of developer goes further
Richard
Old 24th February 2016, 09:05 AM
Friend

I use T-max 100 in T-max RS developer. The Recommended dilution of 1+4 is excellent but gives short development times with little leeway. At the 1+7 dilution I find the difference in prints pretty much imperceptible. However at the 1+9 dilution the differences become more evident in that both contrast and grain are more visible.

So you may find the shift in dilution from 1+9 to 1+14 offers you the results which are acceptable and favourable to your style of photography.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th February 2016, 11:06 AM
Friend

If you look at the Ilford processing information for a particular film it lists the different types of developer, and different dilutions, showing which gives a particular benefit. They list things like best overall image quality, maximum sharpness, maximum film speed, economy and convenience. You can find the details on the Ilford website. I find it quite useful if I'm dealing with an unfamiliar film, or wish to try a different film/developer combination. From my own experience, I have come to conclude that more developer, either by a stronger solution, or greater volume per film, gives a better quality result.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies