Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2016, 07:08 AM
Friend

Default Re-loadable Cassettes

I can buy plastic re-loadable cassettes quite easily but they are prone to collecting dust via static electricity.

Is there a source of metal ones which would help to avoid the dreaded static.
Old 14th September 2016, 07:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I can buy plastic re-loadable cassettes quite easily but they are prone to collecting dust via static electricity.

Is there a source of metal ones which would help to avoid the dreaded static.
I re-use film cassettes, I leave about 1/4" of film sticking out of the cassette when I cut it. Brown parcel tape works well when attaching film from a bulk roll. I have used masking tape before but on auto rewind cameras the film did not rewind back into the canister because the thickness of the tape would not feed through the felt slot. I have used empty film canisters for years with no problems from dust or light leaks, they are free from your local film processor if you ask nicely.
Old 14th September 2016, 08:49 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I have reused film, plastic and metal reloadable cassettes for many years now. I have not had a problem with static dust described by John King or, thankfully, grit in the felt slot. However, I have found light leakage onto the first frames through the slot. I do not know whether this is because of worn felt or film has got thinner over the years. I try and load the camera in reduced light.

I have had a problem with 'Barfen' plastic containers jamming while loading in an A-P Loader and don't use them any longer.

I usually stick the film on the spool with masking tape but have recently had problems with it detaching as I try and squeeze that extra couple of exposures onto the roll or rewind. I think I will convert to the 'GoodOldNorm' method in future!
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 14th September 2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 14th September 2016, 01:18 PM
Friend

Default Re-loadable Cassettes

I use a type of sellotape that has a frosted appearance. I can't recall exactly what it's called, but it's quite easily available in art shops and stationers. It is very thin, but strong enough to withstand a motor rewind. It's only around 15mm wide so easily fits film without trimming.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th September 2016, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Scotch "Magic Tape"?

I use that for pretty much everything - comes off without the mess sellotape leaves behind (usually).

Cheers, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I use a type of sellotape that has a frosted appearance. I can't recall exactly what it's called, but it's quite easily available in art shops and stationers. It is very thin, but strong enough to withstand a motor rewind. It's only around 15mm wide so easily fits film without trimming.
Alex

Old 14th September 2016, 03:48 PM
Friend

That's the one, Bob! It sticks really well to the shiny film base.
Alex.
Old 15th September 2016, 07:15 AM
Friend

Default Magic

I will give Magic Tape a try. The brown plastic parcel tape is hard to get off, (I tape both sides by folding it around the film) , I usually snip through it with small round nose scissors right on the joint between the new film and old film attached to the cassette. When loading Paterson film spirals I always use a film retriever to extract the film leader from the cassette, then I trim the end of the film and start it in the spiral before putting it into the film changing bag. The advantage of the plastic parcel tape is that it is strong and the shiny surface slips through the light trap well, it is a bit of a fiddle to cut into thin strips as it tends to stick to the scissors.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:31 AM
Friend

The Magic Tape has the advantage of being a suitable width to start with. I would still tape both sides, though if you're joining to an offcut of the original film. I use one strip to attach the film to the core of reloadable cassettes.
Alex

Old 25th September 2016, 12:14 AM
Friend

Default Musings on these various bulk-loading methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I re-use film cassettes, I leave about 1/4" of film sticking out of the cassette when I cut it. Brown parcel tape works well when attaching film from a bulk roll. I have used masking tape before but on auto rewind cameras the film did not rewind back into the canister because the thickness of the tape would not feed through the felt slot. I have used empty film canisters for years with no problems from dust or light leaks, they are free from your local film processor if you ask nicely.
I have just got back into film photography after a lapse of decades so am on a voyage of rediscovery. Back in the Sixties I had no problems at all re-using Ilford FP4 cassettes for bulk loading. However, having none of them available now, I have been using some empty Kodak "reloadable" cassettes that I bought off Ebay. They don't seem to be as sturdy and I am not confident they will survive many "cycles" of reloading.

As a second related point:
By accident I recently managed to inadvertently wind the leader of a new cassette of Fujicolor back into the cassette, meaning I couldn't use the film! I tried, in the dark, to open the cassette. No joy at all! I knocked hell out of the bugger but the end cap refused to come off. So....I am very surprised that some of the chaps here are very successful in using non-reloadable cassettes for bulk loading.

Finally:
I have used Scotch tape for fixing the film to the spool of the cassette: it seemed to work perfectly.

I would appreciate any advice to help me get my bulk-loading skills more refined..
Old 25th September 2016, 12:21 AM
Friend

I have a question:
Where can I buy a film retriever? I don't usually need one but I suspect it is going to turn out to be useful in the future?
Thanks for any info!

Update:
I found this on the Internet: it sounds to be a great idea!
https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...ever-extractor

Last edited by Roy in Silver; 25th September 2016 at 12:25 AM. Reason: I have updated information.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies