Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2016, 05:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I now always wind on manually so I can feel the film winding on I also watch the rewind wheel to see if it turns.
For what its worth, I always advance the film until I see the film advancing out of the cassette before closing the back and then watch the rewind lever for the first couple of frames to make sure the film is advancing out of the cassette.

Then when I manually rewind the film I put the film back to my ear to hear the film crossing the pressure plate and back in to the cassette.

I once loaded a film in the pouring rain, got some rain drops on the film pressure plate and that stuck the film to it. So, all that happened as I advanced the film was the film advance clutch did its job and slipped, while the shutter was cocked as normal. The frame counter didn't register any film advance.

Martin
Old 29th November 2016, 05:49 PM
Friend

Larry, this may be a long shot. Many years ago I was building a slide show that required some of the slides to be intentional double exposures. My Leicas did not allow that, so I borrowed a friend's Nikon (F model, I think) that had a button on the baseplate that, when pushed, allowed the shutter to cock but without film advance. After the double exposure it would reset automatically to normal operation. If your camera has that feature, it may be possible that the mechanism is not resetting as designed, therefore the shutter would continue to operate but without film advance. If that has happened, then future films may also be affected.
Old 30th November 2016, 05:39 PM
Friend

Smile

Success!

Just developed another roll of film and “Yes” the negatives have captured some wonderful images.

I took everyone's advise and carefully ensured that I firmly inserted the film leader in the take-up spool and manually advanced the film checking it's winding progress before shutting the camera back on my Nikon FM2n.

Today's little photo outside was a delight. I forgot how good it was to take off the MD12 motor-drive off the camera and go with minimal equipment. Compose, focus manually, set aperture & shutter speed, shoot, wind-on for the next shoot. Somehow I felt really connected in my creativity.

Not bashing auto-everything cameras but I smiled with today's results going simplistic.
Old 30th November 2016, 05:59 PM
Friend

Glad the problem seems to be sorted,Larry, using manual only cameras certainly brings you closer to the art, I have not used a auto everything camera for so many years now, and I have enjoyed my photography much more since I started using ''Classic'' cameras such as folders and rangefinders,
Richard
Old 1st December 2016, 05:05 PM
Friend

I usually keep an eye on the re-wind crank for the first few frames on my manual Nikons to make sure it is revolving when you wind-on. If it is moving - no need to look again - just concentrate on being creative. If it is not revolving the film leader has jumped out of the wind-on slot and an investigation is required.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies