Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th December 2016, 04:16 PM
Friend

Garry, a garage sounds a great place in terms of space and depending on how well the door fits, light-proofing as well. The great thing about a garage is that it isn't part of a room that requires "putting up then taking down" before and after each session.

Winter temps might be problematical but as long as you can stand the cold, a Nova thermostatically- controlled processor takes care of the print processing and maybe film processing can still be done indoors as it requires minimal set-up.

My consultation invoice is in the post

Mike
Old 8th December 2016, 05:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Garry, a garage sounds a great place in terms of space and depending on how well the door fits, light-proofing as well. The great thing about a garage is that it isn't part of a room that requires "putting up then taking down" before and after each session.

Winter temps might be problematical but as long as you can stand the cold, a Nova thermostatically- controlled processor takes care of the print processing and maybe film processing can still be done indoors as it requires minimal set-up.

My consultation invoice is in the post

Mike
Cheers Mike for your thoughts. When I say garage, it is actually a purpose built workshop (link of it being built if you're interested!) I made about 6 years ago for my (at that time) cabinet making business. That is my trade. It is a timber frame, fully insulated, double glazed, powered, potentially lightproof structure. So as far as heat, no worries there. I could even run water to it relatively easily. I would plan on partitioning a section of it off inside for a darkroom
Old 9th December 2016, 05:43 AM
Friend

Sounds and looks like it was purpose built for a darkroom Garry and wouldn't take to much to set up, I use the back half of my garage which fortunately is bone dry. I then insulated and boarded it with particle board the same as you used, an oiled filled rad on frost setting keeps it at 10-15 deg in winter and 20 in summer, the result is a cosy and functional space to work in, good luck with the project.
Richard
Old 9th December 2016, 08:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWarom View Post
Sounds and looks like it was purpose built for a darkroom Garry and wouldn't take to much to set up, I use the back half of my garage which fortunately is bone dry. I then insulated and boarded it with particle board the same as you used, an oiled filled rad on frost setting keeps it at 10-15 deg in winter and 20 in summer, the result is a cosy and functional space to work in, good luck with the project.
Richard
Thanks Richard. Hopefully I'll get a chance over Christmas holidays to clear some space. I'll try and work out how much floor area I'll need and work from there. Looking forward to it,
Garry
Old 12th December 2016, 02:28 PM
Friend

Seen this? Some good tips.

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/p/h...elop-film.html

Also- When you mix you developer, prepare water at 20C then add to the dev- you're only going to be using about 10ml for one roll of 35mm, so it won't change the temp much. Also- where are you working? If the room is less than 20c then it can be worth mixing the dev just a couple of degrees warmer to allow for cooling during the 14 minutes development will take.
Inversion- don't fret. Pick a routine and stick to it- consistency is what really matters in getting reproducible results.
And lastly-

https://www.military-history.org/war...otographer.htm

Not suggesting you should develop your film in a tin hat, but the process is surprisingly forgiving. Don't worry and enjoy it.
Old 12th December 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

skellum, I wish you had the leisure to post here more often (and to share images with us).
Old 13th December 2016, 01:47 PM
Friend

Hello Michael, and thank you. I didn't realise anyone had noticed I wasn't here so much. I had a bit of a career change a year ago, which I've enjoyed but which is rather a big commitment. Also moved house, so I can now do 'proper plumbing', bending and soldering pipes. My tiling has improved too! Brock, if you see this, you have my sympathy. I think you're doing something similar.
I check in here when I can (on a ferry right now, so excused from work) and it feels a bit quiet- I guess I need to dust off a camera and do something before I forget how.
All the Best from (genuinely today) sunny Stornoway.
Colin.
Old 13th December 2016, 02:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
All the Best from (genuinely today) sunny Stornoway.
Colin.
Reminds me of the Calum Kennedy song but that was "Lovely Stornoway". He was a favourite of my dad's

Calum named his song when he noticed that everyone getting off the CalMac ferry who had a dreamy faraway look on their face used the word lovely once they had stepped on to dry land.

In a force 9 the crossings can be rough

Mike
Old 13th December 2016, 02:57 PM
Friend

Well guys, thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I still managed to get things wrong, but, did manage to get images on the negs. So, all's not lost! I have posted a few images in the Gallery, feel free to comment on this newbs efforts!

Thanks all again,
Garry
Old 13th December 2016, 05:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I have posted a few images in the Gallery, feel free to comment on this newbs efforts!

Garry
...and there's me looking for your first pictures in your personal gallery - doh! - only to just realise they are in the main gallery - double doh!

In case anyone else was doing the same, they are here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ry.php/cat/506

Good results on your first film btw!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies