Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2017, 05:01 PM
Friend

Default Your source of brown or amber glass bottles

Hi all, I'm looking at investing in some brown or amber glass bottles upto 1 litre and principally for film developer. I presume, perhaps incorrectly, that all glass is equal in this department?

I've found this company but can anyone recommend any other source?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MESE-Reage...R931ziANKReGxA

http://www.mescieng.co.uk/home/products/

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th February 2017, 05:13 PM
Friend

Firstcall Photographic do some brown storage bottles under their own brand, http://firstcall-photographic.co.uk
Richard
Old 17th February 2017, 05:35 PM
Friend

I recently bought some Winchester amber bottles from G. Baldwin and Co. I got ten 50ml bottles for less than £10 including postage. Why 50ml bottles? Well, my darkroom doesn't have running water and after mixing working strength print developer I have always have the problem of measures etc. that need washing out. So I bought a litre bottle of Ilford warmtone print developer, filled my ten 50ml amber bottles, and put the remaining 500ml in an empty 500ml Ilford bottle. Now when I go into my darkroom to do some printing I simply pour the contents of a 50ml bottle and 450mls of water into my dev. tray and I have 500mls of developer ready to go. I usually do no more than 8 or 10 10x8 prints in a session. The developer gets thrown away at the end of each session, and I always have fresh developer in sealed bottles to work with. When all my 50ml bottles become used up I will use the contents of the sealed 500ml bottle to fill them all up again.

Alan
Old 17th February 2017, 05:36 PM
Administrator

I get mine from here
Old 17th February 2017, 05:52 PM
Friend

I've bought some from Ampulla, like Barry; but also from AG Photographic and, for some sizes, from various local chemists.
Old 17th February 2017, 06:56 PM
Friend

Default Brown Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Firstcall Photographic do some brown storage bottles under their own brand, http://firstcall-photographic.co.uk
Richard
Firstcall charge a mint for them. That is one thing I would not go to them for.

I have bought them from here before:- https://www.kingscientific.co.uk/lab...tory-glassware
Old 18th February 2017, 12:12 AM
Friend

Default Why brown glass?

Forgive me for asking, but I'm intrigued that people frequently talk of storing photographic chemicals in brown bottles. Surely the manufacturers would supply their products in dark bottles if they were light sensitive, whereas most (notably excepting Fotospeed) are sold in white or transparent plastic.
Old 18th February 2017, 09:22 AM
Friend

Default Brown Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
Forgive me for asking, but I'm intrigued that people frequently talk of storing photographic chemicals in brown bottles. Surely the manufacturers would supply their products in dark bottles if they were light sensitive, whereas most (notably excepting Fotospeed) are sold in white or transparent plastic.
It is almost certainly be because some chemicals are affected by UV light so brown or dark green (almost unobtainable except in wine bottles) is the answer. The liquid chemicals supplied by various companies are almost always sold in thick plastic bottles which will do the same trick.

The RA4 developer by Kodak in the 20 ltr packs is one exception but they are designed to be all mixed up in one go and used in a photofinishing machine which is light tight. I only use mine in smallish amounts at one time so when I mix what I need, that goes into brown bottles and the remaining stock goes back into the original box and stored in a cupboard.

I addition, plastic apart from solid nylon, is pervious to oxygen so storing them in a bottle of any colour will extend the life. This does not apply to fixers bleaches,stop baths etc, they can be stored in any bottle.

Last edited by John King; 18th February 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 18th February 2017, 10:55 AM
Friend

I have used prune juice bottles but you need to keep an eye on the metal tops because after a couple of years they corrode. My friends father used to drink at least one bottle a week so I had a good supply. DaveP uses wine bottles with a vacuum pump I have adopted this method. I use 1ltr Irish Cream liqueur bottles this method works very well.
Old 21st February 2017, 03:36 PM
Friend

Same here! Some old juice bottles do the trick. Not the most convenient, but the cheapest solution. They should be thoroughly washed before use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies