Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2017, 08:10 PM
Friend

Hi Vincent. I have been using it at 400 with an SRB red filter. Bracketing a stop either side. That is usually on both of our sunny days!
Cheers
Diz
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDiz View Post
Hi Vincent. I have been using it at 400 with an SRB red filter. Bracketing a stop either side. That is usually on both of our sunny days!
Cheers
Diz
Hi Paul, Checking back I see that the last roll of HIE I shot was in Sept. 2013. I set the film speed to 640 ISO and shot two thirds either side of that which gave me 400, 640, & 1020. Development was in ID11 (1+1) for 13 minutes. Although there was detail on the negs throughout I thought that they looked wishy washy. This would indicate to me that the film was slightly underexposed or the film was just loosing its impact due to age. As you know I have started using Rollei IR 400 with some good results but I would like to finish off those Kodak rolls this year, hence my question.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:26 PM
Friend

Default Kodak HIE IR film - Question

Good luck with this, Vincent. I hope you achieve some decent images, and that you share some of them here. I've only had limited experience with the Kodak film, but it was clearly in a class of its own. I picked up some of the reduced price SFX from Harman Direct recently, as a result of the helpful post by another member. I've seen some good IR images with it, and am hoping I can master it. I like monst's tip about soft filters. I've just acquired several types, and will give that a try. All we need now is some IR radiation in the air!
Alex.
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:22 PM
Friend

Default Not Quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monst View Post
you can get the glow back on the modern ir films by printing through a soft filter or stocking over the enlarger lens. not quite the same but it does work
This will not work! The technique you describe will give an all over soft focus effect with the shadows bleeding into the highlights. I want it the other way without the soft focus. What I was describing was the 'glow' around the edges of objects which would be the exact reverse if using the method you describe.

It used to be a way to get a soft focus effect but having the soft filter or stocking over the camera lens not the enlarger.

The way that Kodak managed it with HIE was due to the lack of anti halation layer on the film so you got a form of 'light piping' similar to a fibre optic. This was the reason to load HIE in a darkroom or changing bag, or the first few frames would be spoiled.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:44 PM
Friend

Yes, if you put it on the camera you get the highlights bleeding and on the enlarger the shadows bleed. i did say not quite the same!! shoot it with an old leica lens, get that highlight glow back.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies