Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2017, 05:06 PM
Friend

Default What would a new 35 mm SLR be like?

I'm just wondering if someone was brave or foolhardy enough to launch a new SLR, what would you expect it to be like;stuffed full of the latest electronics. cheap and cheerful or a materpiece of precision engineering, new everything or a resurrection of an older camera.
One of these days working second-hand reflexes will be rarer than hens' teeth and then what do we do?
Old 23rd February 2017, 06:56 PM
Friend

That's a good point. Even although you can replace foam seals on older cameras, the rotten foam has the ability to wreck prisms and viewfinders in certain models, not to mention mirrors in most. More recent Nikon models suffer the dreaded 'sticky rubber' on the body covering. I'm not aware of any cure for that as yet. Others are problematic due to obsolete batteries. The list of models that will endure is quite short. I don't know what a new design would be like, but I would hope it would include full manual setting of all functions. (And no sticky rubber!!)
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd February 2017, 07:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
That's a good point. Even although you can replace foam seals on older cameras, the rotten foam has the ability to wreck prisms and viewfinders in certain models, not to mention mirrors in most. More recent Nikon models suffer the dreaded 'sticky rubber' on the body covering. I'm not aware of any cure for that as yet. Others are problematic due to obsolete batteries. The list of models that will endure is quite short. I don't know what a new design would be like, but I would hope it would include full manual setting of all functions. (And no sticky rubber!!)
Alex

I had some success with RAPIDE sticker remover followed by silicon car dash polish. On some of my rough old cameras I have covered the sticky rubber with Gaffa Tape!
The Nikon FM3a IMHO was the last Nikon and one of the best, if you want bells and whistles Nikon F5 or F6 Thats about as good as Nikon got.
Nikon advantage = backward compatible lens mount before digital, lots and lots of quality lenses OUT THERE
Old 23rd February 2017, 07:53 PM
Friend

An update of the Rolleiflex 3003 so that you could swap the magazines for whichever format you wanted to use.

Nick
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:16 PM
Friend

Either of those would top the list for me. The FM3a as the obvious best of/last of traditional Nikon body and of course access to a huge ecosystem. The Rolleiflex 3003 as probably the most innovative 35mm camera system, after all if one was going to recreate any electronic 35mm camera then go for the 3003.
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:28 PM
Friend

I have a Nikon F6 and it is a beautiful piece of precise electronic and mechanical engineering. The only gripe I have with it is the actual weight. So something lighter but not nesessarily smaller with a good handgrip to control those lenses. Even the short focal length zooms by Nikon weigh almost as much as the body.

Get rid of the electronic releases - what was wrong with a cable release socket - the F80 had one.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:25 PM
Friend

I have to say I prefer the electronic release, apart from the plug/socket used by Nikon. A simple jack plug would be better. The release with programmable long exposures is very useful, and there are no moving parts at the camera end.
Alex

Old 24th February 2017, 02:49 PM
Friend

Default NON mechanical release

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I have to say I prefer the electronic release, apart from the plug/socket used by Nikon. A simple jack plug would be better. The release with programmable long exposures is very useful, and there are no moving parts at the camera end.
Alex

The Nikon D90 has something similar not quite a jack plug but more like a miniature USB plug but more robust.
Old 24th February 2017, 03:08 PM
Friend

I love the feel of mechanical cameras.

To me they have so much more soul than electronic ones.

However, in these days of cheap electronics, mechanical cameras would be expensive and while electronic ones would be much more affordable.

Just look at watches - how much does a Rolex or Breitling cost against almost anything else.

And, if you didn't have electronics, you would also need a range of mechanical lenses too.

However, I suspect some of the old mechanical cameras such as the Nikon F and the Canon F1 will still be here and working long after all of us are "pushing up the daisies"

Martin
Old 24th February 2017, 03:51 PM
Friend

Like Martin, for me it would be completely mechanical, none of these modern electronics, perhaps something like a revival of the old Zeiss Ikon or Voightlander Slr's a camera that would still be around in 50 years, after all, the old cameras are still going strong, would certainly outlast modern electronic wonders
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies