Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2009, 12:08 PM
Friend

Default Ragnar Axelsson

I found this New York Times article on Ragnar Axelsson and his black and white work quite interesting. His own web site is here.

I could not find out anything about the technical aspects of his work but aesthetically his photographs are really spot on for my tastes. Just incredible tonality. I am always in awe of photographers who bring back such great shots from incredibly hostile environments where just surviving is a full time job.

I could go on and on about how much I like this work but will let you be the judge.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Old 7th December 2009, 01:59 PM
Friend

Thanks for that. Well he's got snow scenes exposure spot on but then again you might expect that given his territory :

All good shots but a great shot of the dog in the snowstorm and the kids and dog silhouetted in the evening sun

Mike
Old 7th December 2009, 02:17 PM
Friend

Fantastic bookmarked his site for a good look later, thanks for the heads up

Neil
Old 7th December 2009, 04:58 PM
Friend

AFAIR, he uses a leica and Mamiya 7 and tri-x. There was an article in B&W some time ago. Wonderful stuff from the Faero islands - one of my 'must go back to' places. Last time I was there it was wall-to-wall Volvos and satellite dishes.
Old 7th December 2009, 05:45 PM
Friend

I remember the article in B&W-if only for the bird catching shot. Very nice photography.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Well he's got snow scenes exposure spot on but then again you might expect that given his territory :
Yes, his photographs of snow scenes in overcast/dim light are just spot on - bright and muted, all at the same time. They really are just like being there. Composition wise, I am also struck by how well the near and far subjects contribute to the entire photograph -- both are prominent but neither steals the show.

Does anyone have the issue date or a link to the B&W Magazine article on Mr. Axelsson, I can't seem to locate it?

-Mark

Old 8th December 2009, 06:34 PM
Friend

Mark,

The issue you are looking for is no. 59, May 2006. This is the UK Black&White Photography magazine.

Jon
Old 10th December 2009, 06:44 PM
Friend

Thanks for this; great photography.

Alan
Old 10th December 2009, 11:43 PM
Friend

After a little research on the web I was able to learn a little about the technical side of his work. He used mainly a Leica M4-P and M6 with 21mm to 50mm Leica lenses. To a much lesser extent he also used a Mamiya 7, Pentax 6x7 and Linhof 6x12. As for film it was mostly Tri-X but also some Kodak Tech Pan 25.

If anyone knows how to get Tri-X [or any film!] to consistently give these results and this tonality then they too have found the Holy Grail -- and MUST share with us all.

Old 11th December 2009, 11:23 AM
Friend

Mark,
It is difficult to even speculate about the technical aspects which you mention without seeing the original photographs. The reproductions in B&W Photography magazine are in general lower in contrast and less grainy than the web pictures. The originals may be different again.
Looking at the website pictures, those taken in low light levels seem to have most grain. This suggests he was pushing the film. If he was there is a limited number of developers he could have used
Pictures taken in brighter conditions have much less grain. If these were done with TRI X he probably used a different developer. Again, not many he could have used.

I use 35mm HP5 a lot, rather than TRI X, to photograph farming life. Film exposed in good light (N or N-1) and developed in Perceptol 1+3 yields grain-free prints, that exhibit something like the "clean" look of Ragnar's grain free pictures. If I photograph in, say, a barn, I rate the film at 800 and push it in ID 11, 1+1. This yields a level of grain similar to some of Ragnar's pictures. Pushing beyond 800 would yield progressively more grain, and I intend trying Microphen for this.
All this is speculation on my part, but based on what I can see in my own prints.

I suspect there will be no "magic bullets" in Ragnar's technique. Just lots of experience, and solid craftsmanship.

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies